Date: November 3, 2004 2:13:45 AM PST
I am looking at the possibility of moving to rarotonga and I have a few questions about stonefish I wonder if you can give me some information...
1. how many stonefish are there in rarotonga?
2. how many people have you seen get hurt from this fish?
3. of these, how many people died?
4. I've read conflicting reports on the internet about the lethality of this type of fish, some sites say you die in 15 minutes and have zero chances of survival, some say there are only 3 ambiguous reported cases, what is your experience about this?
5. I've read that there is no antidote in rarotonga, perhaps the information is outdated; do you have the antivenom now and if so do all hotels have it or is there only one place to get it?
6. Isn't there a project to exterminate all stonefish on the island?
7. What technique do you use to keep these fish away from the shore?
8. what percentage of stone fish actually hide under the sand waiting for someone to step on it?
9. what kind of necrosis have you seen deriving from stonefish puncture? was there ever a need for extensive removal of tissue?
thanks for your time!
Mark Frauenfelder is the founder of Boing Boing and the editor-in-chief of MAKE and Cool Tools. Twitter: @frauenfelder. Come and hear Mark speak at the ALA conference in Chicago on July 1.