As part of their Big Idea series, Salon asked me to describe several tech developments that I find intriguing. I had a lot of fun writing the article, but of course the real credit goes to the amazing people who are actually doing the research! The Big Ideas I cover include:
1. Robugs: Swarms of tiny robotic insects.Link (Thanks, Jeanne Carstensen!)
2. Hacking DNA: Creating life one BioBrick at a time
3. Location, location, location: The GeoWeb
4. Maker mindset: DIY technology
5. Biology as art: Genetic creativity
6. Desktop manufacturing: 3D printing and inkjet electronics
David Pescovitz is Boing Boing's co-editor/managing partner. He's also a research director at Institute for the Future. On Instagram, he's @pesco.