* WEAR: hardware, horsie, farm, jungle, and dinosaur jewelry by Nicola Vruwink of Los Angeles. (thanks Luke Burbank)
* EAT/SLEEP: "Bib sheets" you sleep in. When you wake up, tie them around your neck for in-bed noshing. (via)
* LISTEN: Balkan Beatbox, from Brooklyn. Eastern European + dub + breakbeats + Mediterranean party vibe.
* READ: DieselSweeties in the dead-tree papers. Creator R. Stevens just inked a deal with funnies syndicator United Features Syndicate. (thanks hutch)
* LISTEN: The new Nokia 8800 Sirocco futurephone comes pre-programmed with sounds by Brian Eno. (via pho list)
* READ: New textfiles book from Cult of the Dead Cow: The Book of Cao. Like this. Buy here.
* EAT: Vosges ice cream, ships overnight anywhere in the US via FedEx in a box of dry ice. Sampled it and loved it. Extreme lush flavor combos. Chipotle/Cinnamon/Chocolate; Curry/Coconut; Pandan leaf (Nilla wafers meets pine nut), Australian Wattleseed (sort of hazelnutty). Sounds scary, tastes yummy and approachable enough that my 87-year-old Italian foodie neighbor said "s'aright. i like. is good." Goes great with her pistachio cake, which, alas, is not available online. (thanks Ruth)
* EXPLODE: New "carbonated" and "energy" candies by Jones Soda. If mentos + coke = rapid carbonic geyser, what do all three Jones products together produce? Worth a try. (thanks Luke)
* WATCH: World 3D Film Expo at the Egyptian Theater in Hollywood, September 8-13. Guaranteed to be free from anaglyph (red-blue).
* LISTEN: New funktronica tracks by Q-Burns Abstract Message. Among them: "Alexander East - Breathe Again (Q-Burns Abstract Message Remix)." The selekta explains, "A remix I've recently finished... contains an appearance by New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin on vocals." MP3 Link to this track; more free beats by Q-Burns here.
David Robinson used the data from the 28,657 people who self-selected to take the Stack Overflow survey to investigate the relationship between programmer pay and the conventions of using either tabs or spaces to mark indents, and found a persistent, significant correlation between using spaces and bringing home higher pay.
It’s the end of an era, sort of: Fraunhofer IIS, the developers of the MP3 audio compression format, announced that they are ceasing their licensing program. In a blog post, spokesman Matthias Rose says that it’s had a good 20-year run and is obsolete. But it’s also true that the decoding patents expired last year, […]
Freddy deBoer writes that he’s been telling the same joke for years about Silicon Valley’s only product, which might be universalized as “At last, a way to verb with nouns on the internet!” But the social-media techopoly is stable, now, and so the venture capitalists have moved on to the three terrible trends that will […]
If you struggle to get a good night’s rest, consider replacing your pillows before dropping hundreds on a new mattress. You can give your tired neck a break with a 2-pack of memory foam pillows, available now in the Boing Boing Store.Each of these pillows is stuffed with cooling polyurethane foam that molds to your […]
Although flagship smartphones are unlikely to adopt heavy-duty outer casing anytime soon, you can always prepare your device for the outdoors with a beefy case and and an external battery like this Nomad Tile Trackable PowerPack, available in the Boing Boing Store for $119.95.The Nomad Tile can fully recharge an iPhone 7 over three times […]
Even though credit cards now feature an EMV chip for securing transactions, they still have to include the magnetic strip for compatibility with older point of sale systems. Because of this, there’s no way for the chip’s new security capabilities to protect against card skimmers in the wild.How do you protect yourself from legacy-technology-induced fraud? […]