* WEAR: hardware, horsie, farm, jungle, and dinosaur jewelry by Nicola Vruwink of Los Angeles. (thanks Luke Burbank)
* EAT/SLEEP: "Bib sheets" you sleep in. When you wake up, tie them around your neck for in-bed noshing. (via)
* LISTEN: Balkan Beatbox, from Brooklyn. Eastern European + dub + breakbeats + Mediterranean party vibe.
* READ: DieselSweeties in the dead-tree papers. Creator R. Stevens just inked a deal with funnies syndicator United Features Syndicate. (thanks hutch)
* LISTEN: The new Nokia 8800 Sirocco futurephone comes pre-programmed with sounds by Brian Eno. (via pho list)
* READ: New textfiles book from Cult of the Dead Cow: The Book of Cao. Like this. Buy here.
* EAT: Vosges ice cream, ships overnight anywhere in the US via FedEx in a box of dry ice. Sampled it and loved it. Extreme lush flavor combos. Chipotle/Cinnamon/Chocolate; Curry/Coconut; Pandan leaf (Nilla wafers meets pine nut), Australian Wattleseed (sort of hazelnutty). Sounds scary, tastes yummy and approachable enough that my 87-year-old Italian foodie neighbor said "s'aright. i like. is good." Goes great with her pistachio cake, which, alas, is not available online. (thanks Ruth)
* EXPLODE: New "carbonated" and "energy" candies by Jones Soda. If mentos + coke = rapid carbonic geyser, what do all three Jones products together produce? Worth a try. (thanks Luke)
* WATCH: World 3D Film Expo at the Egyptian Theater in Hollywood, September 8-13. Guaranteed to be free from anaglyph (red-blue).
* LISTEN: New funktronica tracks by Q-Burns Abstract Message. Among them: "Alexander East - Breathe Again (Q-Burns Abstract Message Remix)." The selekta explains, "A remix I've recently finished... contains an appearance by New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin on vocals." MP3 Link to this track; more free beats by Q-Burns here.
I asked Amy Parness, the co-founder of Sparkle Labs, maker of fantastic educational electronics kits, to write a Medium post about gender and the business of being a maker business person. Her terrific essay calls out the problems with “pink girly engineering kits.” From Medium:
Zero UI is the new term for “invisible interfaces”—what happens in the future when all the clicking and tapping and typing is history: “If you look at the history of computing, starting with the jacquard loom in 1801, humans have always had to interact with machines in a really abstract, complex way.” [Fast Company]
CEO Dick Costolo will resign, to be replaced in the interim by Jack Dorsey
Watching Netflix, Hulu or other streaming services can unfortunately be difficult while traveling outside the US. Rather than bypass these restrictions with the help of a complex and slow VPN, choose a faster and simpler solution with Getflix. Instead of rerouting all your Internet traffic through a different server, this handy service only routes the […]
Shake, stir, and muddle your way to delicious homemade cocktails with this must-have bar set. Expect only the finest quality tools from MakersKit — enabling you to unleash your inner mixologist.Top 12 Favorite Things of 2014, Sunset MagazineQuart-size vintage-style Mason jar shakerRetro double jigger for accurate measurementsStrainer & spouts for a mixologist-style smooth pourHardwood muddler […]
The Lytro Illum dares to be different, boasting even more robust features than its first generation predecessor and a sleek design reminiscent of professional DSLRs. What’s so cool about it? Most cameras capture the position of light rays, producing a statoc 2D image.