Damien Hirst's diamond skull

8 Responses to “Damien Hirst's diamond skull”

1. ndw says:

This should be titled “For The Love Of Money”. I’d really like to read some of his essays on his work because they seem conceptually weak. And empty, he’s a bit old for the generation of empty promises.

Hello David,

Today we linked to your blog post, Damien Hirst’s Diamond Skull, in our blog post, New Indiana Jones Movie Has a Name, Finally.

Your blog, BoingBoing is very interesting. I particularly like two recent posts of yours:

Your post about drug warning labels makes me wonder whether drug names and their labels are becoming too recognizable.
    It’s interesting that in today’s society, there would still be any problems with phone tapping and surveillance.

Perhaps you’d find our blog of interest to your readers, and you may want to link back: http://www.namedevelopment.com/blog/

Thank you, David, and continued success with BoingBoing.

PS… We recently published a post on the recognizability of certain drug names (http://www.namedevelopment.com/blog/archives/2007/08/patients_asking.html) that may be of particular interest to you!

While you may think art is dead, you continue to talk and discuss it. It still impacts you and makes you contemplate different notions of what art can be or the judgment value of what art should be. It is easy to get fed up with banal or basic ideas that turn gobbledygook into an extremely successful and well received art piece. Complain all you like, but if you don’t have any stake in the art world, why would you care regardless? It’s much easier to hate what you cannot explain.

4. contemporaryart says:

Damien Hirst’s jewelled skull painting on cobblestone of Paris

Bentley & Skinner in London is a house of jewelers dealing in trivia and they know very little about anything. To think that they hunted down the melee needed for the diamond skull and to claim the purchase of a few hundred carats of diamond has changed the price of diamonds. – It is so dumb I feel sorry for the publicist who came up with this nonsense.

Best regards from 47th Street, NYC.

no offense to the Damien guy, but to me a diamond-encrusted skull is no more attractive than a regular one.

7. York Iddinmi says:

Before I finally dropped out of RISD in my junior year out of disgust ( following david Byrne’s lead) I adopted the slogan “‘ Art is Dead” . it came from the realization that art is not art but rather a contest to see who can call the most mundane, nugatory and cultus creation “art ” and get away with it. If you blew your nose and set it on a pedestal with sombre lighting and strange music and proceeded to explain why your mucus represented modern man’s quest to find significance in a world tainted by materialism and shattered by tribalism based on the defense of modern religion, your snot was art.To read that Hirst’ s”centrigal art” sells for a quarter of a million dollars is proof once again. When i was 8, we paid a quarter to make “Spin-Art”® at the school fair. I wish I had saved them as they were far more visually intriguing than Hirst’s :blood wound, blah, blah , blah”. Then to see this’ Paris hiltonesque’ “thing” and hear critics rave over it’s depth once again makes me proud of the tattoo I have on my left ass cheek. “ART IS DEAD.”