EFF report on four years of RIAA vs P2P

8 Responses to “EFF report on four years of RIAA vs P2P”

1. skreidle says:

Phasor3000: Then there’s the issue of someone with five children to clothe and feed, and not enough money in the bank to pay a $3000 fine, spending $30 a month on CDs and having a collection of 250 CDs (which must have cost a total of $1500-3500 to purchase originally, depending on how many were bought used vs new).

P3K, there’s a big difference between “having the cash on hand to buy two or three CDs per month” and “having $3000 available all at once”–especially when one has five children to clothe and feed. I don’t have that child-load in my house, but I’ve been in a similar position for years–enough spare cash to buy relatively inexpensive things, but the only time I generally have over $3K in the bank is right after payday. (And the total value of the CDs she already owns is irrelevant, as they were bought a couple at a time over a long time.)

scrw thm. lt m d. rtsts nd t fnlly gt t n thr hds tht thy dn’t nd ths bg lbls nymr. dn’t wnt sngl dm f mn gng t thr pckts.

Wow dude, I think you forgot some vowels.

4. phasor3000 says:

First off, yes, the RIAA are obnoxious, heavy-handed strong-arming idiots, agreed.

But in the Gonzales case, she first claimed that she had downloaded 1300 songs because she was trying to decide what to buy, that she would “listen and buy, listen and buy.” She later changed her story to claim that she was mainly downloading songs that she already owned on CD.

University of Connecticut just gave word that they’ll be forwarding the “settlement letters” to students.

6. jftamames says:

I understand that RIAA commits a mistake. The radio and the ISPS do not have the same position.

So I should feel sympathy for someone simply because she makes less than some number and is too lazy to rip her own CDs? While I commend the EFF’s attempts to change how the music industry works in the internet era, I’m tired of these ‘RIAA sues poor people, so they must be Satan’ boo-hoo stories. People *know* it’s a no-no to download music they aren’t paying for, and yet they *still do it*. Why we should feel more sorry for the poor ones vs the rich ones is a mystery to me when they are both doing wrong.

8. kuanes says:

just got the news that the RIAA has come after nearly 100 kids at the local university here (University of Virginia) at $750 a song….ugh.