Man fired after employers track his movements on GPS phone

11 Responses to “Man fired after employers track his movements on GPS phone”

I worked for an employer (construction) that had a gps tracking on the company phones that could tell when you were speeding in the work trucks. All clock ins and out needed to be from the worksite due to the gps.

2. Crash! Bang! says:

people! we’re losing sight of whats important here. the man has the largest forehead i have ever seen in my life!

3. Flying Squid says:

Did you ever want to be monitored all your life?

Did you ever want to be kept on an electronic leash?

Did you ever want to get fired from your job when the boss wasn’t even looking?

You will. And the company that will bring it to you? AT&T.

4. Raian says:

I’m sure these are the same types of GPS phones that fail to record those days you’ve stayed late.

Isn’t the school district a government ‘agent’? Could this not be construed as unreasonable search?

Wow… talk about being completely snookered. I can imagine his face when he was told his phone ratted him out.

I personally think it’s an obvious invasion of privacy. I think if you’re being spied on all day you should be made aware of the fact and allowed to adjust your behaviour to suit. If you do not like being spied on you should be given the option of quiting before you are fired.

It’s Big Brother time only it’s managed by small time bureacrats with a little technology and just enough brain power to use it.

I’m sorry but…the guy lied. If you lie, what is wrong with losing your job? Don’t lie, people. It’s simple.

8. Dan B. says:

But Judge, I wouldn’t have committed fraud if I knew I was going to get caught!

Novel defense, to be sure.

Well, he may “deserve” to lose his job for lying, but I’m sure the big fat lawsuit for invasion of privacy will make up for it.

10. dculberson says:

All the school district employees should start leaving their phones at work. Since that’s obviously where the district wants the phones to be.

11. Nato Welch says:

Wouldn’t tracking serve as a better deterrent to bad behavior if the subjects knew about it?

I mean, what’s more important: firing dishonest employees, or prompting them to be more honest?