Procedural-code-as-magic trilogy goes Creative Commons

14 Responses to “Procedural-code-as-magic trilogy goes Creative Commons”

While not creative commons-ed, the “Wizard” series by author Rick Cook was absolutely intensively magic-as-code, to amazing heights. The books he wrote in the series were Wizard’s Bane (1989), Wizardry Compiled (1989), Wizardry Cursed (1991) Wizardry Consulted (1995), and Wizardry Quested (1996).

His character is a programmer who, instead of learning the difficult spells painstakingly learned by the wizards before him, essentially writes a magic operating system. One example of this is where he essentially greps for the princess.

A great series, worth checking out.

But will we see any (semi-)functional based spell casting? Will the main character explode their foes with a storm of lambdas?

3. Cardinal Ximinez says:

This description reminds me a lot of the premise behind Rick Cook’s Wizard’s series. “Wizard’s Bane” and “Wizardry Compiled” are both available in the Baen Free Library, too, which is where I discovered them…

Fr r n, Srd ‘n Srsry sks!

5. mikelietz says:

How soon until these go up on DailyLit?

6. Maxwell Hammer says:

Yeah, great, pdf or word doc. Why do people do that? Why can’t it be put out in html or text?

Damn, if you’re really that worried about not making money from it then put google ads on it and put it out in html.

For those of you with an e-ink reader, these books are now available on Feedbooks too: http://www.feedbooks.com/discover/view_author/242

These stories also have some great examples of mystical reverse engineering and spell “hacking” as Max and Karlini try to figure out some of the mysteries of the gods.

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! for posting this!

This has long been one of my absolute favorite series of books and the last time I checked for Mayer Brenner, I wasn’t able to track any recent information down.

I truly hope that Mayer publishes more fantasy in general and more stories set in this world in particular.

I’ll be pointing these out to all my friends who have never gotten a chance to read the books! :-)

Just read the first one; it felt more like enginnering-as-magic than procedural code, though there were some places where one could get that feel. More than either, however, it felt like Star-Trek-technobabble-as-magic. Not that that’s a bad thing; Star Trek’s “technology” has a very different feel from standard fantasy magic, and seeing the former used for the latter was definitely worth reading. The boook had a nice ensemble of characters, too, which is always good.

11. Zute says:

Im gonna buy this one, like to read about creative commons

12. tamago says:

Good to see these books getting back out there. I own paperbacks of all of them so it doesn’t effect me much but I hope it brings the author much deserved new success.

P.S. It’s a quartet, not a trilogy :)

13. Matt Staggs says:

Great cover – I really like it. Can’t wait to go read the book.

14. Tomasz Gorski says: