Artist will send 300 meter banana 50km above the earth

21 Responses to “Artist will send 300 meter banana 50km above the earth”

When this thing comes down, if it gets off the ground, it’s going to kill people

2. Marshall says:

This reminds me of the really neat geostationary balloon that the USAF is using/testing near Marfa, TX.

Checking that out from the side of the road was way more interesting than any of the actual art that I saw in Marfa. Maybe this piece could be equipped with infrared cameras and it could do double duty as art and as border protection.

3. IshMEL says:

I’m just surprised that the geostationarybananaovertexas.com URL wasn’t taken before.

Ring ring ring ring ring bananaphone, ring ring ring ring ring BANANPHONEEEEEE …

5. Alan says:

I always thought this was a joke, and still do. However, if it’s for real, I’m real glad I live in Austin. I wanna see a giant floating banana in the sky!

6. strider_mt2k says:

This should coincide nicely with my own “big giant bowl of cereal” art project.

Now if I can only find someone doing a “big giant knife” art project, we’d have breakfast!!

7. Tim Cosgrove says:

Not only is it old news, it was posted on BB a while back:

Does anyone else think that the art in this project is the art of the huge hoax?

300 meters? Doesn’t look like it to me.

10. Robbo says:

Everyone loves this stuff because it has appeal.

sorry

11. Stacyj says:

“Geostationary Banana” is my new favorite potential band name. Oh, if only I had musical talent!

Yeah, good thing artists have money to make giant floating bananas. Wouldn’t want to spend that money anywhere more useful.

13. billy says:

yeah, it’s old news but it’s fun news….
    folks up here are bracing ourselves for another one of them “this is where are tax dollars are going” anti-art thingies.
    cesar, btw, is one of the nicest most generous guys i’ve met and he’s laughing quite a bit about any controversy this is stirring up.
    i like texans reminded of the ‘banana republics’ to the south.

The project cost is estimated at 1 million. Based on current prices, I suspect helium accounts for 75% of the total. If he uses hydrogen he can cut the cost in half if not more. But what to say if the big banana catches a spark and ignites — Oh, the fruitality?

15. JCW says:

It will be amusing when it crashes to Earth. I hope only a few people are slaughtered.

17. DaveX says:

Wow. As if it wasn’t hard enough to see the stars between city lights, pollution, and inclement weather– now we have to contend with bananas. Thanks tons, Mr. Saez.

On the other hand, it will make it much more easy to convince chimps to go back into space….

I think this exhibit will appeal to most people.

19. TUNA says:

I just think is great that artist have the $$$$ to express their art, this is like building a zeppelin kind of art!
    tunaisfresh.com

20. Skwid says:

Is this news again? I’m pretty sure this proposal is several years old. Did Saez acquire more funding, or something?

21. palinode says:

That’s the kind of banana I like. Inedible and out of reach.