World's Worst Polluted Places 2007

13 Responses to “World's Worst Polluted Places 2007”

1. Simon Greenwood says:

On the subject of Alang, go and take a look at it on Google Maps or Google Earth in satellite mode. It is rather impressively apocalyptic.

2. GaryG says:

No, no criticism of DP here either, just commenting on the use of the term in the original text.

hnjf nhrqegmy bwgfza axflnvc kxjbcne liavt uwycdbigj

4. David Pescovitz says:

Oh, don’t sweat it! I didn’t think you were giving me a hard time. I’m sure I’ll know when you are. : )

For polluted places in the USA — check out this site http://www.superfund365.org

6. GaryG says:

“Mongolism”?

Well there’s a term I thought fell out of polite use a long time ago…

7. Ethan says:

Yeah, Down Syndrome would be the correct term. Here’s what Medterms.com has to say:

Definition of Mongolism

Mongolism: Obsolete name for Down syndrome.

Down syndrome refers to the 19th century English physician J. Langdon Down who described the condition in 1866. In great error, Langdon Down attributed the condition to a “reversion” to the “mongoloid race.” He held that evolution had been reversed and there had been a sort of backslide from the superior Caucasian to the inferior Oriental race. The misnomer “mongolism” is incorrect and racist and is to be avoided.

8. Teresa Nielsen Hayden/Moderator says:

I haven’t asked DP, but I seriously doubt he deleted the term “Down Syndrome” from the list and replaced it with “Mongolism.”

9. philipb says:

Makes the purchase of a Prius look a little like pissing in the wind doesn’t it?

I’m surprised that the shipyards of Alang didn’t make the list.

10. Ethan says:

It isn’t a criticism of by David Pescovitz, rather of the original text. (I thought that was implicit).

11. David Pescovitz says:

Yes, I noticed that too, Ethan. Curious that they’d use such an obsolete term.

12. mike_the_kid says:

I was reading through the list, and it was like “Oh, that looks bad, that looks bad…”

Then you get to number 9 on the list, which is CHERNOBYL! That really put the top 8 most polluted places into perspective for me.

13. Buns and Chou Chou says:

See,New Jersey didn’t even make the list!