Craft Economy - Toronto band staples CC-licensed CDs to phone poles

13 Responses to “Craft Economy - Toronto band staples CC-licensed CDs to phone poles”

I must say, this is some of the best CCed music I have ever listened to.

By God, please DON’T USE STAPLES! When I was young and thought I could play music, I was posting fliers for my band in downtown Sacramento. A guy came up to me and adamantly demanded that I stop using my staple gun. He explained that he used to be a lineman for PG&E, but one day slid down such a pole when his boot-hook gave.

He then pulled up his pant leg to show the result. I kid you not, it looked like hamburger with blotches of skin on it. The muscle from the upper part of his calf was about half gone with the kind of scarring you’d expect. 3 1/2 feet of sliding across staples, nails and other such implements.

Tape. Always use tape. Even better, pull some of the staples out while your at a pole or two. Remember that some poor guy has to climb that pole.

-BadMonkey

Might I say that you’re a brave brave person to go shopping in Kensington on a Saturday. I love the place but I wouldn’t set foot in the market on a weekend.

4. Nuclear Artisan says:

That’s a brilliant idea.

5. Mark Brown says:

50 Foot Wave are doing a similar thing (CC sharealike work with CDs for sale if you want them) for their Free Music EP.

6. Rickdini says:

Giving your music away in the beginning is really the only choice you have. You are essentially trying to create a demand for and inject value into your very common product – new music. Not to say that your music is common and unoriginal, but you know what I’m saying…

This post is a great example of some artists who get it. Advice for new artists? Stage a unique guerrilla marketing effort, take a photo of it, and post it on a popular blog site as if it’s the greatest thing…Country Gold, baby.

Rick

7. Rickdini says:

Rick

8. Andres says:

Good idea :)

9. Minimal says:

good photo)))

10. Tomasz Gorski says:

I must say, this is some of the best CCed music I have ever listened to. I must agree it rock! Thanks for the link. Regards

11. Unanimous Cowherd says:

Oooo — bad bad bad Zoot — why don’t you just pick up any old random bit of food stapled to a pole? Arghh! What could possibly go wrong if you stuff a cd you found on a telephone pole into your computer? I mean, why not just pick up old cigar butts and try to smoke ‘em? Yeah, that sounds good!
    Brings a whole new meaning to the phrase “viral marketing”, no?

HTML leak!!!!! AAAAGH

13. Simon Iddol says:

the idea is nice,yes
    but without the BB post it would be only 100 Cd’s on the street

the amazing part is the interaction of the people’s thinking who been involved in this

the band who made the CD action
    Kim who found it liked it and sent it in
    Cory who posted it
    and all of us who are reading it now because we like it

this story can be a good script for the band’s video ;)