Animals carved from vegetables

16 Responses to “Animals carved from vegetables”

1. Roger Baillargeon says:

Those Vegetable Animals are Absolutely Amazing !

Regards, Roger B.

Roger Baillargeon
    Magazines on Animals +

2. Edd says:

Hi

Just thought your readers might be interested in where these images originated. They’re scans from a children’s book called Food For Thought by a Saxton Freymann and Joost Elffers. They’ve written a whole series of these using carved fruit and veggies and my two year old son and I are big fans.

Credit where credit’s due and all that. Keep up the good work.

Cheers
    Edd

I made carrots of the paribbean recently!

4. Nailed Visionary says:

One of the ways I get my three year old to eat is by him pretending to be a shark, and the food are fish. He loves the sounds of the fish begging for mercy and wailing in pain as he chews them.

This reminds me of the “Noche de Rabanos” or Night of the Radishes in Oaxaca, Mexico. Every December 23rd, people bring out amazing sculptures carved from Rasishes. Here are some pictures:
    Christmas in Oaxaca

So when are the vegetables carved from animals coming?

7. Flying Squid says:

If you let the animals carved from vegetables sit in silt for a few thousand years, they will become minerals! It’s a trifecta!

8. Foolster41 says:

Thoser are so cute! And ediable too! (Though I’d find it hard to bring myself to eat them.)

9. Tgg161 says:

This link is a shame. It’s one thing to post Saxton Freymann and Joost Elffers’s pictures without credit, but to use them as an advertisement like they do here is sad…

10. Ape Lad says:

You can even see the hole from the calendar page in one of those. Googling Freymann and Elffers brings up many more. Shame they don’t have their own site (that I could find, anyway).

11. np says:

The source seems to be one of the Play with Your Food wall calendars. The top hole is visible on multiple shots.

12. ReMaines says:

I’d never heard of Joost Eiffers until the publisher I work for started doing some art books with him. Less original than these vegetable animals, but still kind of neat–the first one is a series of Monet’s cathedral paintings done as an accordion fold, so you can fold the whole series out and see the progression of the light, etc., much as the Art Institute of Chicago exhibited his Houses of Parliament in a big circular room some years back. IIRC, in the book the reverse side of the fold-out is text by an art historian about each painting.

There’s a Van Gogh one too; and others in the works. The series is called Objet d’Art, if anyone’s interested.

13. Subspace says:

I find I come across rip-offs of Effers without credit a lot, usually around Halloween when someone does his grumpy pumpkin faces.

14. Lady Katey says:

Freymann and Elffers have done many books of these food sculptures. And calendars, and postcards, etc. They’ve been widely available for at least five years, I’m sure even Walmart carrys the calendar. But if it’s news to Cory…