Documentary on the women who hacked ENIAC

8 Responses to “Documentary on the women who hacked ENIAC”

1. musicman says:

I highly recommend Zeros and Ones by Sadie Plant as being a great read in regards to the historical impact of women in computing and the web:

2. John Wiedey says:

I wouldn’t have busted Benny Hill if it wasn’t for the bow tie.

3. Huffington Glue says:

Their is a good book called “Electronic Brains: Stories from the Dawn of the Computer Age”.

The book discusses the teams of women who programmed early computers like ENIAC.

Just thought i’d share.

4. Martin says:

I think I’ve seen one of those women pretending to be Roosevelt at Yalta.

5. Danelda says:

I’m disappointed to see that an article that is about the overlooking of women’s contributions to technology has two of its first three comments about their appearance.

Thanks for illustrating the point.

6. Martin says:

I believe that there were a lot of women at Bletchley Park, too.

7. ohbejoyful says:

Other famous women in computing history include Ada Lovelace (wrote the first computer program – it calculated Bernoulli numbers) and Admiral Grace Hopper (created the first compiler).

8. NE2d says:

An interesting story. I never would have guessed that any women worked on this project, much less that it was done almost entirely by women. According to this,

The first programmers started out as “Computers.” This was the name given by the Army to a group of over 80 women working at the University of Pennsylvania during World War II calculating ballistics trajectories – complex differential equations – by hand. When the Army agreed to fund an experimental project, the first all-electronic digital computer, six “Computers” were selected in 1945 to be its first programmers. They were Kathleen McNulty Mauchly Antonelli, Jean Jennings Bartik, Frances Snyder Holberton, Marlyn Wescoff Meltzer, Frances Bilas Spence and Ruth Lichterman Teitelbaum.

I’m sure it was partly due to the dearth of men stateside during WWII, but still a remarkable story.