Miro 1.0: the free and open future of video on the net

23 Responses to “Miro 1.0: the free and open future of video on the net”

1. Chasqui says:

Downloading the new version as I type. Feeling the love for Miro. No odd Joost interface, no DRM, make-your-own RSS chanels… what is not to love. I agree that the beta is a resource hog… hopefully lighter in 1.0x
    Adam C – there is a LOT of content out there… I don’t think you are getting the most out of the program’s capabilities.

2. mokey says:

yeah, it’s a resource hog for me, especially because i’m a scrub and got an old ass machine. i can’t even watch videos in the player; i have to wait until the download’s finished and open it in VLC independently.

3. mattl says:

From the article: “It’s created by the Participatory Culture Foundation, which is devoted to making online video more open … In contrast to closed, proprietary delivery systems, Miro embraces open standards and DRM-free video…”

From the Miro web page: “How do I use Miro? This video gives a quick overview … Get the Flash Player to see this player.”

4. Adam C says:

Chasqui,
    Is there streaming network programming available legally for Miro?

5. Andrew Denny says:

Like all of Apple’s output (Quicktime, iTunes etc), Miro 1.0 doesn’t support my hi-res HD (150dpi) laptop screen.

When are developers going to realise that we’ll never reach the paperless nirvana until they start supporting hi-res screens? At least Microsoft realise this, which is why I still use WMP.

6. fALk says:

no streaming. still.

get back to me when the couch potatoes can be couch potatoes and don´t have to be loading bar staring geeks.

perhaps miro should try to develop a free open p2p video streaming protocol that can use h264 vids at it source – everything else is a waste of internet time.

7. Brian Damage says:

@FALK

If I’m not mistaken, Miro uses Bittorrent which means that pieces of video files are downloaded out of order. I don’t think it’s possible to enable streaming with Bittorrent, plus quality and resolution are greatly limited when you’re at the mercy of your download transfer rate. A few months ago I made the decision to keep Miro loaded 24/7 and now I always have tons of HD content ready to be watched immediately.

8. likemindead says:

Not working for me in Ubuntu Gutsy. Program closes 30 seconds after you start it.

9. Neddy Seagoon says:

I remember the hype over Democracy. “Great” I thought, “I’ll be happy to use that!”. It crashed, it stuttered, it wouldn’t play half the stuff I threw at it, and all the online stuff available for it was so lame as to defy description.

Now it’s Miro. I tried it that last time there was an enthusiastic announcement (on Mac OS 10.3.9, PowerPC) and it crashed with great reliability.

IMnsHO it’s not worth the effort. I’ll stick with the “free and open” MPlayer, thanks.

10. Stu Mark says:

Cory, good for you on that last part. Very sweet, very smart. Old folks need new media, just as surely as young folks need to experience older forms of entertainment and information. Dig it.

11. Pyros says:

Very nice.

12. Adam C says:

The application is great, but the content is still lacking. Until high quality content is available Miro will be a niche program.

13. sunoxen says:

IS there any way to get that nice black theme on the Mac?

14. Pinwiz says:

Is it less of a resource hog than earlier versions?

15. Kyle Armbruster says:

It’s a mediocre BT client, a mediocre video player, and a mediocre media center–all in one!

Seriously, I don’t know anyone (and I know a lot of geeks) who have given this much more than a passing look. Grab a good BT client and a good video player, and don’t be forced to run both at once with a silly media center overhead.

16. Ralph Giles says:

Note that in addition to the proprietary and patent encumbered formats advertised in the graphic, Miro supports Ogg Theora, which is an actual free and open video format for the free and open video format of the future. :)

17. Zachariah says:

Is there anyway to make it start with Windows, but only in the tray, instead of being an open window?

18. Kevlar says:

Just in time for the writers’ strike.

19. dalasv says:

I don’t like how this is being pitched as “an alternative to Joost” (by Miro, as well). Isn’t the web big enough for more than one video service?

20. Giovanni says:

I second many of the questions here. Is it more efficient than previous versions? I don’t need a media player that takes up 200 MBs of ram to sit in the background and burn cpu cycles.

21. method77 says:

I would use it if it was lighter

22. Burz says:

Dalasv: “Alternative” implies there there is room for more than one.

Others: Can Miro handle podcasts yet?? I’m still having to use iTunes for some “free and open” shows because the last Miro didn’t handle podcasts. It also didn’t handle Youtube feeds.