Muirhead's London guide, 1928

8 Responses to “Muirhead's London guide, 1928”

1. FunGuyFromYuggoth says:

It was a pleasant surprise to see this on BoingBoing. The host site is http://www.yog-sothoth.com and is definitely worth a visit if you’re interested in exploring roleplaying games set in the 1920s and 1930s.

2. Dave Rattigan says:

Hmm, I have a similar volume from the same era. I shall have to dig it out.

Btw, the best place in London to go on a Sunday is Speakers Corner, at Hyde Park. Great fun to hear people both weird and wonderful, representing every conceivable religion and philosophy, in animated argument. One place I never miss if I’m down that way.

3. dave hutchinson says:

That’s rather charming, isn’t it? For anyone who’s interested in this sort of stuff I can recommend HV Morton’s books about London, written from about the mid-20s to the mid-30s, and which I’m staggered to discover after looking him up are back in print. (I found all mine in second-handd bookshops.) They’re like guidebooks to a lost world.

Very nice, but why not simply photocopy and scan it?

5. Dave Rattigan says:

Oh, I see the writer does actually allude to Speakers Corner as “the Sunday orators”.

6. Beschizza says:

Diligently and sincerely trying to explore London with ancient guides like that is a great game. It’s like going on a vacation in a Peter Ackroyd novel.

7. jfdonohoe says:

I know its boringly typical to compare prices from these guides to contemporary times but to call the United states was £15-£18 for 3 min. while the cost to rent “The most luxurious and expensive quarters are found in St. James and the streets of Piccadilly (from £2 or £3 per week upwards)”

Amazing.

One of the charms of books from 1928 is professional typesetting. This transcript, while interesting, could benefit from the eye of someone serious about book production.