Waterlogged Xmas ornaments grow from petri dishes

12 Responses to “Waterlogged Xmas ornaments grow from petri dishes”

You can get these in the uk too. They are a bit fragile, and the bits fall off if you knock them.

2. Boingit says:

Hi – You can buy these on Amazon.com for $5.99 from Toysmith/Polka-dots, Inc. link

3. Jon Adair says:

I just saw this faux Zen Mount Fuji Amazing Garden in a Bits and Pieces catalog.

4. dalasv says:

They’re not really expanding so much as growing crystals.

This are a classic from my childhood. The “water” is a solution which is absorbed by the cardboard skeleton. When the liquid evaporates from the card it leaves these fantastic crystals behind. They are susceptible to drafts, but I have had some last for many months. The crystals may be coloured by dye impregnated in the card.

E.g. the multicoloured magic tree. Notice the linked products: a magic garden (though how many people have mount fuji in their gardens, I don’t know) and the magic sheep.

Is there anyplace online where I can order these? My mom would go nuts for the snowman…

http://imwith.thesatya.com/ has a gimpped (like “photoshopped”, but using the Gimp) image of me licking one of these, despite the warning not to.

8. roninkakuhito says:

I used to get these around Christmas time when I was a little kid. The ones we had in the States weren’t as pretty as the ones pictured above, but it was really neat watching the Christmas tree crystal thing grow.

9. Chloramphenicol says:

I like my version better… Last year I went into the lab and painted Christmas scenes onto agar with six or seven different types of mold spores and let them grow for a few days. Such vibrant colors…

These are great. You crafty types can whip up a DIY version using blotter paper, salt, H20, & laundry bluing. Just google for ‘charcoal crystal garden’ for a recipe. You can leave out the amonia. Cut out your shape, then cut a bunch of lines into the sides to create edges for the crystals to start growing.

I don’t think their strictly Japanese, as identical products are readily available around here. My girlfriend bought me one a couple years ago, knowing very well it was the sort of thing I would like.

But yeah, they are neat. Very delicate crystals though, they disintegrate if you touch them.

12. Borges says:

Anyone know how I can buy these in the states? They seem like nice little gifts. I followed the links to Gazmodo Japan but I have no idea what it says.