Digital Africa DJ mix from DJ Spooky

10 Responses to “Digital Africa DJ mix from DJ Spooky”

1. knellotron says:

“If computers were like Africa, it would be backward, in permanent crisis, underfed, diseased, smelly, in need of constant aid from the outside, corrupt, impoverished and susceptible to political engineering from entities wanting only to exploit it and its people.”

You obviously don’t run Vista.

2. DeWynken says:

did anyone else’s Firefox crash horribly with Quicktime errors when they tried Spooky’s site?

3. zosa says:

Thanks for the link!…here is my favorite place to go for African mixes:

4. mike3k says:

My favorite place for African music is Benn loxo do taccu ( http://bennloxo.com/ ).

5. everichon says:

That link totally crashed Firefox, rather messily. Which is a shame, cos this looks really good.

6. License Farm says:

I’m using Firefox and had no trouble. I do wish it was a .mp3 rather than .m4a; I’m on a Mac, but I sometimes play my music on PCs.

Spooky/Miller is so awesome. I own his Viral Sonata album, which he describes as the musical equivalent of negative space in art. I also love his remixes of Kool Keith’s “Object Unknown” and Metallica’s “For Whom The Bell Tolls.”

7. nonsapiens says:

Computers are like Africa? What the hell is everyone smoking?

/I live in South Africa
    //Grew up in Kenya
    ///Utaenda jehanamu

8. JoeBlack says:

“…and above all the willingness to engage and discuss it all – that’s something you could find on any street corner in Africa.”

Afreekah the myth, the single entity, the Dark Continent of Big Smiles and Bigger Animals? Not every street corner is as welcoming as this, and the sheer diversity of cultures and peoples on this continent?

It renders the use of the continental title to define the peoples almost … colonial in aspect.

Anyway, as a black Zimbabwean, I’m sceptical about anything with Africa in the title, because our identity is less African but more ethnic and national. We don’t even like our neighbours :-) (although probably more our fault than theirs)

9. elNico says:

Aw, jeeez!

Mr Spooky needs a Holiday in Somalia!

10. Brian Damage says:

I dabble with DJ software and mixed a short 40-minute Africa-inspired tribal house set a couple of years back. Please download and enjoy!

http:/www.demodulated.com/music/mixsets/Brian%20Damage%20-%20Shamanica.mp3