Walking Dead 7: The Calm Before -- compelling, pitiless zombie comic

14 Responses to “Walking Dead 7: The Calm Before -- compelling, pitiless zombie comic”

1. Willie McBride says:

Crap. While I was commenting here DC and Marvel cracked down on all the comics torrents sites; I’m seriously pissed off now. I think that Fables: Wolves will be my last TPB ever, I don’t think that DC or Marvel’s executives read BoingBoing, but if they do, and they’re reading here, go **** **********

2. redux says:

If you want a similar feel but in book format, George R R Martin’s A Song of Ice and Fire series is amazing. Martin has an uncanny ability to create characters you care for and then just keep hitting them with horrible things – all the while you keeps saying “it can’t get any worse” but it does. All the while you CAN NOT stop reading.

It takes place in a fantasy world but he really minimizes the fantastic elements – it is more political intrigue and family issues than sword and sorcery.

3. Teresa Nielsen Hayden / Moderator says:

Nice, Redux. I’ll pass that on.

4. DefMech says:

I created an account just to comment on this. Walking Dead is one of the best graphic novels I’ve ever read. It’s sort of depressing when you get through a new issue and realize there’s nothing else out there to read that even comes close. I’d love to see HBO make it a series, as I think they’re the only ones who could do it correctly.

5. Matt Staggs says:

I’m really happy you like this comic – I’ve been reading it since it first came out (I’m only missing issues #1 and maybe a couple of others), and it’s been great to see it get the attention it deserves.

Too bad about Kirkman’s Wolf Man comic, though. Not too good.

6. Willie McBride says:

Walking Dead is fabulous, I’m reading it monthly through “non-orthodox methods” because it’s not published in my country and I’m buying one TPB every time I order books from amazon. I strongly recommend also Fables, one of the best on-going comics series.

I agree with Redux, A Song of Ice and Fire series is amazing. I downloaded the PDF of the first three books last year and I couldn’t not buy them all (in English, because the Italian publisher split every volume in two 8.5€-each books and the translations suck)… those book reconciled me with the genre after too many disappointments.

7. pingpongpanda says:

this is a bitchin comic. for those of you who havent read em, check it out

8. Chang says:

I love Walking Dead so much.

So much that I had to stop reading it. I got so depressed and yet so compelled by the story of it. I just had to stop. It’s THAT good.

Maybe on a super bright sunny day I will get 6 & 7 and then rent Caddyshack and play that while I’m reading WD.

9. kaosdevice says:

I can’t sing the praises of this comic highly enough. Walking Dead, DMZ and Fall of Cthulhu are the only comics I really follow any more. I miss the artist they had on the earlier issues of WD but otherwise I have absolutely nothing but love for it. This is a must-read for any comic book or horror fans out there.

10. Peaceflag2007 says:

This should be made into an HBO series, shot with the gritty looks of “Band of Brothers.”

Amazing it’s written by Robert Kirkman who did “Battle Pope!”

11. Fanatic says:

Hands down one of my favorite comics since I was a kid. It [with a few other series/graphic novels] has made me excited about comics again.

12. Thee Most Exalted Potentate of Love says:

Oh man. . . “Battle Pope” was fantastic. . . and when I’d first started reading “Walking Dead” I didn’t realize that it was by the same fellow. I’m just glad I’m not the only guy that read “Battle Pope”.

Anyway. . . . that’s an interesting idea, though, about potentially turning these books into a series. I think that it could work. We’ll have to see how well they do with “Preacher” first, though. . . .

13. Leaking Geek says:

Walking Dead is one of the best comics out there right now.

When I first heard about it, I said “Hrmm, another Zombie book…but the zombies are just backdrop to the bigger human struggle – and struggle these characters do. Kirkman is unflinching in his vision and it has served the books well. With its stark black and white delivery, it gives the stories a more ominous tone, even during the lighter scenes.

If you dig WD, there are three other books you should check out: Ex Machina, The Exterminators and Fables. Each of these titles are superior in story telling and art.

Peace!

14. rauz says:

I’m loving Walking Dead, looking forward to the next issue which should be out any day now.

I agree with Leaking Geek’s recommendations above and would like to add DMZ, Y – The Last Man and maybe also American Virgin to those.