Chronulator clock kit

9 Responses to “Chronulator clock kit”

1. Gilbert Wham says:

Pardon me? Obtain the ? After they have been good enough not to provide you with any? Nonsense! Have at it my good fellow? Who needs instructions?

2. Sam says:

Wow – very cool.

Russia seems to be making nixies nowadays

4. Robert says:

Well… clocks just aren’t cool unless they’re made out of nixie tubes!

5. License Farm says:

With great respect to Gareth, what precisely qualifies this as steampunk? I realize that’s mostly an aesthetic descriptor these days, but this is, at best, UNIVACpunk. No Nixie tubes? FAIL.

6. Takuan says:

lots of old Russian nixies. The problem is making drivers and controllers to go with them. How about a faux nixie that has the look but is LEDs inside?

7. Gareth Branwyn says:

Re: “steampunk”
    Yeah, tenuously so. I was thinking needle gauges as being stempunky. And was looking at the version of the clock seen on their website housed in a box of gearworks. And to me, the whole thing ties in with a general trend of analog displays, digital-to-analog translation of Net data, casemodding in old tech boxes, etc. Retro-tech (of which steampunk is the most virulent example). THAT’s what I should have said.

And thanks for the “great respect.” A nice way to preface criticism.

Making your own Nixies, or at least something similar, is far from out of the question. There are plenty of places (like the Crucible in Oakland) that have classes in Neon sign making (Nixies are neon). It wouldn’t be easy, I admit, but it would be very cool to have your own free form numerals, in home-made tubes.

9. jboone says:

I’m the designer of the Chronulator. I would *LOVE* to design a clock with Nixie tubes and have considered it on several million occasions. But they are so hard to come by. For a while my wife and I were hatching an idea to learn how to blow glass and make *our own* Nixie tubes. Then the drugs wore off…

P.S. Thanks Gareth and Mark for the post!