Music snob t-shirts

30 Responses to “Music snob t-shirts”

1. Ian70 says:

Wow, this so totally reminds me of the college radio station I used to work at.. where people loved REM until they Sold Out and got filthy rich, and where people loved U2 until they Sold Out and got filthy stinking ludicrous rich.

Bands are only good until they become successful, right? Does that mean if nobody ever buys any music then all bands will stay good?

2. Grimboy says:

To those who say it doesn’t make any sense: You aren’t understanding it. ‘Music I used to like’ depends upon the reader’s ‘Music you like’. Basically for the subset of music that the wearer likes they will pretend they’ve ‘matured’ beyond liking any music you like, even though they still like it. Never mind, it’s a snob thing, I wouldn’t expect you to understand.

3. Crash! Bang! says:

its a trip
    its got a funky beat
    and i can BUG OUT to it

4. Crunchbird says:

Father Brown, I’m with you on the general principle that a joke built on premises that are logically at fault loses a great deal of its humor. I’m equally annoyed by television commercials that propose a particular product as the ultimate solution to a problem that is not actually a problem. However, there are not actually any logical inconsistencies in this diagram.

This only “doesn’t make sense” if you assume that one of the existing labels on the picture applies to the entire left circle. In fact, the left circle represents “Music I Have Liked and Continue to Like” … not “Music I Like (Now)” OR “Music I Used to Like.” Admittedly this is somewhat inconsistent, since the label “Music You Like” does appear to apply to the entire right-hand circle including the overlapping portion, but it is not actually logically flawed.

5. David Pescovitz says:

I liked this t-shirt design until it ended up on a major label: Haynes to be exact.

6. Grimboy says:

@Crunchbird: That’s not how Venn diagrams work.

7. Wingo says:

Isn’t the semi-fallacy of the logic mainly what makes the joke funny?

The fact that the diagram doesn’t make complete sense, in a scientific way, is what makes it like a music snob’s snobbery. Mostly nonsensical/pointless.

I think it’s pretty obvious what the joke is right away, nonetheless. We all know what it’s saying. Got a chuckle out of me. Maybe some people need to have their funnybones examined. ;)

Well, for those arguing the semantics, if this is a set of “music we can discuss” it works, too. We can’t discuss any music I currently like because you aren’t cool enough to know of it, and I can’t discuss music you like because I’m too cool to listen. But if it’s music I’ve been unfortunately trapped into admitting I know something about, I must, by default consider it music that was once cool, but now I can’t listen anymore. Philistines.

9. Svein Olav Nyberg says:

@17 GRIMBOY. Venn diagrams don’t need to be circles. See Edwards’ Venn diagrams, for instance:

But the joke is for the intelligent and dynamic user of Venn diagrams who understands that a set minus a set is also a set, even though the new set is not a circle. Listen here …

What the circles tell, is a Venn diagram story: I bring my circle of musical taste, and you bring yours. Now we see where they overlap, and while you are waiting for the non-dynamic conclusion “What both you and I like” — I change the overlap (which used to be in “Things I like”) to “Things I used to like”. The simultaneous use of past and present tense gives that away, doesn’t it?

PS: My petty nitpicks about Venn diagrams and your petty nitpicks about Venn diagrams don’t overlap. ;-)

10. ericthesalmon says:

Wow, Venn diagram snobs.

(Although I agree Indexed was much better before it sold out to Staples.)

11. mikey p says:

now we just need someone with too much time on their hands to make a venn-diagram about joke snobs.

i have too much time on my hands, so i guess that someone is me.

12. chris farrell says:

I still think that the part that is part of both circles should be something that is both “music I like” and “music you like”. “Music I used to like” is not part of “music I like”. “used to” implies “music I used to like and don’t anymore”.

But hey, it’s just a t-shirt, not an SAT question.

13. Teresa Nielsen Hayden / Moderator says:

I laughed when I saw the diagram, so I must be hopelessly corrupt.

14. chris farrell says:

In that diagram “music I used to like” should also be “music I like”, which doesn’t make any sense. Music can’t be both liked and not liked.
    “Music I used to like” should be completely outside of the “music I like” circle.

15. Gunnar says:

As a joke, it doesn’t have to be perfect. It may fail as a diagram, but it conveys the joke perfectly.

16. travelina says:

This kinda reminds me of the bacon flowchart, which helps you decide if you want bacon. (The answer is inevitably yes):

17. washizu says:

Maybe it’s like that Mitch Hedberg joke… I used to do drugs. I still do, but I also used to do them.

18. Miles says:

Now if we could just get one that dynamically displayed the wearer’s current net worth, for the upwardly mobile hipster set.

19. cayton says:

I made one for my technical writing class that had two circles with nothing touching. The first circle said “People I like” and the second said “you.” My teacher was not amused

20. Dizbuster says:

How do you piss off an indie rocker?

Enjoy music.

21. Dave X says:

I used to wear that shirt, but now it totally sold out.

LOL

22. rstevens says:

Just re-stumbled on my own link here from Google and want to add a link to the new music diagram shirt page because I moved my store.

Hope that’s not lame! Please delete if it is.

23. James Boike says:

Here is that diagram using the new Google Charts API!

24. The Mad Hatter says:

I wouldn’t wear this shirt just because of all the people who would point out the supposed logical fallacy in it instead of just laughing and moving along, most my friends are like boing boing readers. Also, the shirt is totally sold out; BB mentioned it.

25. jphilby says:

Change “Music you like” to “Music ‘rents like”, and you have the #1 thing that fuels revolutions in pop music.

Or, at least, *did* fuel … before video games, facebook … oh, which reminds me, I liked this post before you commented on it.

26. Teresa Nielsen Hayden / Moderator says:

I really respect his early work.

27. Nick D says:

But then he started taking himself too seriously, and started thinking he was an “artist”!

28. Peterus says:

Diesel Sweeties FTW!
    Great comic, it’s in my fav’s for more than a year.

29. georgethe23rd says:

Worn by actor on new series of the IT Crowd!

It doesn’t even have anything to do with semantics. There is plenty of music I both like and dislike at the same time.

We all obviously have far too much time on our hands if this is the kind of crap we are arguing about.