Costco's funeral department

20 Responses to “Costco's funeral department”

1. eclectro says:

I applaud Costco for doing this (and have been aware of it for a couple of years). As someone who has lived through the experience (and heavy expense) of buring someone, the sales pressures put on by funeral homes (and other loved ones wanting to get the best) can be heavy and unfair. Out of all the box stores there are, it’s Costco that I respect

2. arbitraryaardvark says:

The institute for justice http://www.ij.org has been fighting for years on this issue – the economic right to sell fancy boxes, instead of only a state-regulated monopoly being able to sell you a box.

3. B Dagger Lee says:

“Welcome to Costco…I love you!”

4. RadioNate says:

My sister was shopping Overstock.com last week for Christmas gifts when she came across their selection of caskets

5. adelaidejewel says:

“THERE IS NO SCIENTIFIC OR OTHER EVIDENCE THAT ANY CASKET WITH A SEALING DEVICE WILL PRESERVE HUMAN REMAINS”

Oook, thanks, CostCo!

6. Marie says:

So why would some be expedited, and some standard? Creepy

7. noen says:

Can the WallMart model be far behind? Services to be held in the parking lot. We’ll circle the motor homes.

8. Kblackwell says:

I’m guessing the mighty funeral-home lobby will nip this in the bud.

9. MacBastard says:

Actually, Costco has been providing caskets and urns for a couple of years now.

As to the question of whether a casket is expedited or shipped standard, Costco is marketing to people who are realistic about death and its inevitable occurance.

Standard is for people or families who have a good idea when someone will pass on, and expedited is for sudden, unexpected deaths. Either way, the products they sell are half the price or more from what your local Funeral Director will charge you.

10. GaryInMiami says:

Death is part of life. Funerals are a business.

Has anyone come across a funeral director who won’t let you use your own casket?

11. Stefan Jones says:

Too bad you have to buy the coffins in an Economy Family Pack.

12. trappedinabay says:

Welcome to the big news of 2004.

13. lukobe says:

Better to buy from Costco than from SCI! But honestly–why waste your money on a casket that’s going right in the ground? Cremation, y’all…

14. MacBastard says:

@GARYINMIAMI:

I believe it’s against the law in most states for a funeral director to prevent you from providing your own casket, other than to stop you from using one that doesn’t meet jurisdictional standards. (No popsicle stick and macaroni caskets, right?)

In a previous, younger life I worked as a “counselor” for a local funeral home chain. I know how much of a racket it is and believe me, the Neptune Society and other services like it are the way to go.

15. Jack says:

It’s cute to watch commenters get upset about Costco doing this when Sears was doing it in ye olden days.

16. jayemdee says:

Any chance the add-on product recommendation indicates who Costco’s target market is?

17. MrGone1980 says:

It IS our most modestly priced receptacle…

18. neven says:

A few years ago I took a tour of my college’s Funeral Services department and I asked the program director what his personal burial wishes were. He said he would be cremated, but to anyone insisting on a casket, he would recommend going to CostCo as funeral homes charge crazy markups.

He was an upbeat, extremely funny individual, and his family had run a funeral home. He seemed to resent the whole business.

19. GaryInMiami says:

@MacBastard

Thanks for the information. I’ll check with the funeral director my sister and I plan to use when our father dies. I hope that won’t happen for a long time, but he’s 86 years old. I’d rather pay a reasonable price for a casket since, according to his wishes, he doesn’t care how we handle his funeral, so long as its dignified.