Steampunk anthology

8 Responses to “Steampunk anthology”

1. edgore says:

It sounds freaking amazing! I am saddened only by the lack of James Blaylock. I will however, soldier on. Stiff upper lip and all that.

2. vorpalsword says:

I agree about James Blaylock– but Jeff VanderMeer and Hal Duncan are in there, which kind of makes up for it.

3. EdHibbert says:

Bah, needs more China Miéville!

4. JeffVanderMeer says:

And, six months before this amazing original antho, Tachyon’s putting out our reprint antho of classic steampunk stories, that does include Blaylock, so you’re covered either way:

“Introduction: The Nineteenth Century Roots of Steampunk,” Jess Nevins

“The Selene Gardening Society,” Molly Brown

“Seventy-Two Letters,” Ted Chiang

“The Martian Agent: An Interplanetary Romance,” Michael Chabon

“Victoria,” Paul Di Filippo

“Reflected Light,” Rachel E. Pollock

“Minutes of the Last Meeting,” Stepan Chapman

“Excerpt from the Third and Last Volume of the Tribes of the Pacific Coast,” Neal Stephenson

5. edgore says:

That’s another amazing lineup. I believe that I will now need to go and change my brass, steam-powered undergarments! Can I get some help with these lug nuts?

6. Niteowl says:

I’m interested in reading some steampunk novels, but I have NO idea where to start. I’ve heard of China Mieville, but what are the seminal works (say, five), in the genre? Surely steampunk-o-philiic bOING bOING readers must know.

7. bobkat says:

But where is the Definitive Squidpunk Anthology, I’d like to know?

@Niteowl: Mieville is my personal favorite, although perhaps purists wouldn’t consider him “steampunk.” I like his genre-defying appelation: “new fantastic” literature. Perdido Street Station and The Scar are absolutely incredible – you should read them!

8. edgore says:

@ Niteowl

James Blaylock’s “Homunculus” is not only an excellent introduction to Steampunk, it’s a great introduction to one of the quirkiest writers around.