Another person turns blue from colloidal silver

48 Responses to “Another person turns blue from colloidal silver”

1. spencerjones says:

Why tk clldl slvr?

Mst ppl tk clldl slvr t cr nfctns, bst mmnty nd prvnt clds, fl nd thr nfctns.

Clldl slvr s cmpltly ntrl, lqd mnrl spplmnt fnd n lmst vry hlth fd str n Nrth mrc. t s mch lk mnrl wtr, xcpt tht n ths cs, th nly mnrls n th wtr r tny, sb-mcrscpc prtcls f pr slvr.

Pr slvr, by tslf, hs bn knwn fr thsnds f yrs t hv pwrfl, brd-spctrm nfctn-fghtng qlts. S whn th prcss fr mkng clldl slvr ws dscvrd n th lt 1800′s, shrtly ftr dsn hrnssd lctrcty, t mmdtly bcm pplr ntrl nfctn-fghtng gnt, sd bth tpclly n cts, brns nd nfctns, nd ntrnlly s rmdy fr wd vrty f nfcts dsss.

Nmrs mdcl stds wr cndctd n clldl slvr thrght th rly 1900′s, nd th sbstnc ws sd n hsptls nd lbrtrs rnd th wrld, n wd vrty f frms, t hlp fght nfctn nd dss. Stds dcmntng ts phnmnl nfctn-fghtng qlts wr wrttn p n th Jrnl f th mrcn Mdcl ssctn (JM), th Brtsh mdcl jrnl Lnct, nd mny thrs. ndd, s fr bck s 1919, lfrd Srl, fndr f th gnt Srl Phrmctcls frm, hd wrttn, “pplyng clldl slvr t hmn sbjcts hs bn dn n lrg nmbr f css wth stnshngly sccssfl rslts…t hs th dvntg f bng rpdly ftl t prsts wtht txc ctn n ts hst. t s qt stbl. t prtcts rbbts frm tn tms th lthl ds f ttns r dphthr txn.”

Hw s t Md? – Clldl slvr s md thrgh smpl lctrmgntc prcss tht plls mcrscpc prtcls f slvr frm lrgr pc f pr slvr mmrsd n wtr. Ths tny slvr prtcls r hld n sspnsn n th rsltng sltn by th lctrc chrg n ch tm. Whn ngstd, ths tny prtcls f slvr trvl thrght yr bdy lk ny thr mnrl bfr bng xcrtd thrgh yr nrml chnnls f lmntn.

100 Yr Mdcl Hstry – Th smpl prcss fr prdcng clldl slvr ws dvlpd shrtly ftr dsn hrnssd lctrcty n 1892. t ws thn sd fr dcds by dctrs, n vrty f frms nd ndr vrty f brnd nms, s ntrl nfctn-fghtng gnt. Bt t fll t f wdsprd sg ftr th dvnt f prscrptn ntbtcs n th 1940′s.

Thn, n th md-1970′s clldl slvr xprncd drmtc rsrgnc n pplrty ftr dctrs dscvrd tht mny pthgns wr dvlpng mmnty t prscrptn ntbtcs, bt nt t pr, lmntl slvr. ccrdng t scnc wrtr Jm Pwll n th Mrch 1978 ss f Scnc Dgst, “Thnks t y-pnng rsrch, slvr s r-mrgng s wndr f mdrn mdcn. n ntbtc klls prhps hlf-dzn dffrnt dss rgnsms, bt slvr klls sm 650. Rsstnt strns fl t dvlp. Mrvr, slvr s vrtlly nn-txc.”

Whr Cn t B Fnd? – Clldl slvr s wdly vlbl thrgh hlth fd strs nd n th ntrnt. Thr r ltrlly thsnds f vndrs crss th ntd Stts nd Cnd, ffrng vrty f clldl slvr prdcts fr bt $30 fr tny fr-nc bttl. Tht’s qt xpnsv, whn y cnsdr hw qckly tny fr-nc bttl mght b sd p.

Frtntly, y dn’t hv t spnd lt f mny t njy th phnmnl bnfts f clldl slvr. Why? Bcs y cn vry sly mk yr wn hgh-qlty clldl slvr, t hm, fr bt thrty sx cnts pr qrt, sng sf, smpl lctrnc dvc clld clldl slvr gnrtr. Ths tny dvcs, frqntly rngng frm plm-szd mdls fr trvl nd hm s, t mr sphstctd cntr-tp mdls, r vlbl thrgh nmbr f cmpns, ncldng Th Slvr dg Hlth & Ntrtnls (www.thslvrdg.cm).

Wth clldl slvr gnrtr, thr’s n rsn t py pwrds f $30 fr tny fr-nc bttl f clldl slvr, whn y cn mk yr wn – fr th rst f yr lf — fr jst pnns pr qrt! n fct, wth clldl slvr gnrtr, y cn mk clldl slvr s nxpnsvly tht y cn ctlly ffrd t gv t wy t frnds, fmly mmbrs r nghbrs. Y cn vn ffrd t bth n t. n fct, mny srs smply thrw qrt r s f clldl slvr nt th bthwtr, fr ts sthng ffcts n th skn nd sclp! thrs s t n thr sps r ht tbs, n plc f chlrn, brmn nd thr hrsh chmcls.

Th Bttm Ln: – Fr thsnds f yrs slvr hs bn rcgnzd s n f ntr’s mst pwrfl ntrl nfctn-fghtng gnts. nd tdy, clldl slvr s n f th mst pplr ntrtnl spplmnts n th wrld.

Wht’s mr, f crrnt mdcl rsrch n slvr tslf cntns t dmnstrt hw ffctv t s gnst drg-rsstnt pthgns, t my wll trn t t b n mprtnt prt f th sltn t tdy’s frghtnng nfcts dss crss n whch mltpl drg-rsstnt pthgns smply n lngr rspnd t trdtnl prscrptn ntbtcs.

———–

Fr cmprhnsv nfrmtn n clldl slvr, rdr cpy f th rcntly xpndd 252-pg dtn f Th Clldl Slvr Mnl: ntrdcng th Pwrfl Ntrl ntbtc Thy Wnt t Tk wy Frm Y, vlbl frm Lf & Hlth Rsrch Grp t http://www.lfndhlthrsrchgrp.cm.

r gt cpy f th brnd nw 60-mnt, std-qlty Clldl Slvr Scrts Vd, vlbl nxpnsvly n bth DVD nd VHS frmts t http://www.lfndhlthrsrchgrp.cm

Fnlly, b sr t chck t th mprssv ln f nxpnsv clldl slvr gnrtrs t: http://www.thslvrdg.cm, nd whl y’r thr b sr t dwnld FR cpy f thr 16-pg spcl rprt ttld “Wht’s th Sfst Dly Dsg f Clldl Slvr?”

2. Takuan says:

spencer jones: fuck off

3. ElGuapo138 says:

He sorta looks like the Bumble from Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer:

4. hybridlab says:

PAPA SMURF!

(Yes, i know… i’m going to hell.)

5. Doomstalk says:

#1: That’s just mean.

6. Evil Jim says:

They should have proofread that book for typos before publishing.

That’s actually a pretty shad of blue that bearded gentleman is sporting. It’s too bad the most common reaction is for people to freak out or stare.

7. ElGuapo138 says:

Doomstalk, you’re right. It wasn’t meant to be mean, but after reading his story I regret making that comparison. I hope that some medical professional who hears about him can help reverse the condition.

8. kirkjerk says:

I dunno if it’s the same thing, but the silver ions injected by DermaSeptic’s little electric doodad is the only thing besides Acyclovir that I’ve found useful for preemptively destroying cold sores. Best $60-$100 you’ll spend.

9. stovis says:

How long will it be before the bodyhacker crowd gets a hold of this info and runs with it?

10. noen says:

Are there any health implications for argyria or is it merely cosmetic?

11. Yamara says:

Blue food bestows immortality…?

Maybe colloidal silver is what bodhisattvas eat for breakfast.

12. everichon says:

There is a dude who shops at our co-op who has very severe argyria, and lately we’ve noticed his maybe 6-year old boy looking a little…gray. It’s very depressing.

13. DennisDennis says:

Just a question: How can colloidal silver treat AIDS in the 19th century if the first case of AIDS was diagnosed in 1981? If you wrote that in your book, then it would be quiet wrong. Or maybe I’m just misinterpreting what I read.

14. richirth says:

Just get him a pair of red pants and he could be Papa Smurf for Halloween

15. amaynard says:

Going blue after drinking nanometer-sized silver particles doesn’t seem that serious. But it does make you think about how emerging nanomaterials might lead to unanticipated consequences if we don’t work out the rules of safe use before making them freely available.

16. robgonzo says:

Rosemary’s website that is mentioned here is

17. hjo3 says:

Dennisdennis (#33), you seem to have missed this section:

Unfortunately, quick-buck hucksters push colloidal silver on the Internet in the same way that … scam artists sold bogus remedies … in the 19th century.

18. Cpt. Tim says:

There are different qualities when it comes to silver water.

My mother had hep C and used it for years, but got it through a company that processed the silver until (they claim) that the silver was mono-atomic.

not sure if that is true or not but my mothers Hep-C count went down and she didn’t have so much as a cold for years. This is the mother who was sick my whole life.

My very basic understanding is, the less processed the silver is, the faster the metal will build up in your system, the faster you will turn blue. But even though the company claimed it wouldn’t, it did eventually start to build up, and my mother cut back using it. Although i never saw a change in her complexion.

I have a bottle i use everytime i start getting sick, and of course this is anecdotal, it works like a charm.

19. Stefan Jones says:

#9 “It’s very depressing.”

So . . . you’re feeling blue too?

(Sorry.)

20. zuzu says:

First of all, I love that this post went back to 2002 for the one on the politician with argyria. Long-term memory on the Internet makes me smile.

Secondly, as this is cosmetic, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I imagine somewhere some people want to be blue-skinned. Aren’t enlightened people in Hindu culture generally portrayed with blue skin? People seem to enjoy the Blue Man Group, and even the previous post on Toffler’s Future Shock (and video adaptation) spoke of a future where people choose to be blue.

So don’t be so quick or normative as to dump your pity on those with argyria.

21. jamesey says:

If you take chewable pepto bismo tablets, your tongue will turn blue about 8 hours later from the Bismuth.

22. Aristan says:

Colloidal Silver hasn’t been completely replaced in conventional medicine. I suffered for years with a veinous leg ulcer and repeated infections and the only treatment that worked for me was the use of a ionic silver laced calcium alginate wound dressing.

In english that basically means a thick layer of colloidal silver & Seaweed was applied. And this wasn’t applied by some new age therapist, it was applied by doctors & nurses at a respected hospital.

Basically it comes in a large pad, is cut to the size of the wound, then wrapped in a light cast. The wound drains, which turns the seaweed into a gel, completely covering & sealing the wound. When it turns to a gel, it releases the silver which kills bacteria. It probably also helped that I was on a steady diet of Cipro. Hey, it was traditional medicine after all.. Now I’m healed AND I can play with all the anthrax I want.

That being said, I think the moment I started changing color, I would have discontinued use. By the way, Colloidal Silver isn’t the only therapy that’ll change your skin color. An overdose or prolonged overuse of Kava Kava can turn you yellow, though only temporarily.

23. BIZKeT says:

Am I the only one that thinks that looks absolutely stunning? I am swept with the urge to get some of this stuff for myself.

24. zuzu says:

As with tattoos, I’m waiting until the technology exists to infuse my skin with some kind of dynamic display ink, powered by the electrochemistry of my body. I’d like to see the current time, my heart rate, and my blood glucose level displayed on my wrist where a watch face might be currently.

I suffered for years with a veinous leg ulcer and repeated infections and the only treatment that worked for me was the use of a ionic silver laced calcium alginate wound dressing. In english that basically means a thick layer of colloidal silver & seaweed was applied.

Sounds like Silvadene.

25. Antinous says:

Um. Don’t we usually refer to oxidized silver as ‘tarnish’?

26. mellowknees says:

Here’s the deal:

I don’t think colloidal silver is a “quack” remedy. It was used for a long time before modern anti-biotics were around, and it does have its uses.

However, no one should be taking ANY antibiotic on a daily basis. I mean, come on, would you take penicillin every day for 30 years?

I have a friend who swears by colloidal silver for sinus infections. She uses it whenever she has an infection and ONLY when she has an infection, and she’s never turned any shade of blue, no matter how slight.

I feel for this man, but I must wonder why he felt he needed antibiotics every single day. I saw the news report and he said he still takes it, though not as often. /boggle.

27. Roger Strong says:

One of the choices to replace the Pope had this condition. He was popular, and while doing missionary work in Africa he had lost an arm and one eye in a plane crash.

But drinking colloidal silver turned his skin purple, destroying his chances to become the new Pope. No-one was ready for “a one-eyed one-armed flying purple papal leader”.

28. Agent 86 says:

THE BLUE PEOPLE OF TROUBLESOME CREEK

Made me remember a group of hillbillies that were naturally blue (gotta love inbreeding). They are born blue, but can be treated – ironically – with methylene blue to become normal (temporally).

29. Teresa Nielsen Hayden / Moderator says:

It’s certainly a bad idea.

30. jomama says:

Bfr blwng smk p vryn’s ss, < hrf="http://slvr-lghtnng.cm/thry.html">lttl
    rsrch s n rdr.

< hrf="http://www.slvrmdcn.rg">…nd lt mr.

<>vryn sd t blv th Sn rvlvd
    rnd th rth…fr lng tm thy blvd
    t.

Nw Lmstrm md crcs hs nw “frks” t
    rvlv rnd:

Th Bl Gys.

Sht.

31. Cpt. Tim says:

Roger Strong= win

32. Aristan says:

Nope, Zuzu. It wasn’t a cream, but a layer of seaweed knitted into basically a fabric & embedded with the silver. There are several different versions, but the version used on me (and I think I have a big ol’ bag of it around here since I was tasked with dressing it myself for a while) was Aquacel AG.

Most of the traditional dressings, like what you’d use with a cream can cause pressure points, which basically would become new ulcerated areas on my skin. The Aquacel basically became goo and protected the area. Easy to put on, hell to get off.

33. CJ says:

Elastoplast make colloidal silver plasters nowdays, but I’ve been a bit wary of them since I first heard about argyria. I’d guess that the amounts are small enough, and absorbed infrequently enough, that it wouldn’t be a problem, but I’d still not use them on little kids.

34. Dquixote1217 says:

Whn th msnfrmd nd msld pplr md wrns bt slvr tht trns skn bl, wht thy r ctlly dscrbng s mprprly md nc slvr tht hs bn cntmntd by slt r slvr ntrt.

Hr r th fcts: hndrds f thsnds f ppl hv sd clldl slvr fr mny, mny yrs. f th bl sknnd cndtn knwn s rgry ctlly ws cmmn sd ffct, thr shld b ntr trbs f Smrf bl ppl rnnng rnd. Th ctl trth s tht th cndtn s NT sd ffct f prprly md clldl slvr t ll – nd y hv t hnt fr nd wd t fnd rltv hndfl f ppl wth rgry. Whn y d, nd y lk frthr t hw thy cqrd thr cndtn, y wll nvrbly fnd tht wht thy tk ws nt prprly mnfctrd clldl slvr, bt slvr ntrt, s n th cs f th wmn nmd Rsmry, r hm-md cntmntd nc slvr tkn n hg qntts – whch s wht hppnd n th cs f Pp Smrff Krsn.

Krsn, wh ctlly sms t rvl n hs blnss, sd bkng sd nd slt nd cnsmd vr qrt dy fr yrs bfr trnng bl. Try dng th sm thng wth ny TC r prscrbd mdctn whs nrml dsg s n r tw tspns nd s wht clr y trn – prhps pl gry nd sx ft ndr grnd?

Jst lk th mst f th thr rbbsh y s n md pcs bt clldl slvr, th bl skn cndtn rgyr ctlly cn b rvrsd wth hrbl clnsng nd dt s wll s wth zlt mnrls.

Cntlss mdcl stds hv bn dn n clldl slvr, ncldng n by Srl, nthr by Brghm Yng nvrsty nd hndrds ctd t PbMd. t hs bn fnd t d prctclly ll f th thngs th rgnl rtcl hr lbld s hckstrsm clms nd mr. prsnlly knw ppl wh hv sd t t bt Lyms, Crhn’s dss, MRS nd mch mr.

Dspt mnstrm scr strs, thr hs nvr bn sngl dth r srs sd ffct rprtd wth th s f clldl slvr. Cmpr tht wth vrtlly ny prscrbd r mnstrm mdctn!

Th ssctn fr Clldl Rsrch hs rprtd tht: “Mdcl Jrnl Rprts nd dcmntd stds spnnng 100 yrs, ndct n knwn sd ffcts frm prprly mnfctrd clldl slvr n nml r hmn tstng. Thr hs nvr bn rprtd rctn wth clldl slvr nd ny prscrptn mdctn…”

vn th FD hs cknwldgd n sd ffcts frm clldl slvr s vdncd by th FD crrspndnc fnd t:

Th rl thrt f clldl slvr s nt t r hlth, bt t th bllns f dllrs n prfts n ptntd nt-btcs rkd n by th trlln dllr yr phrmctcl mpr whs nly mrktplc s r bds.

Fr mch trr lk t th trth bt clldl slvr, sggst ths rtcl n th mrcn Chrncl:

Clldl Slvr Hs Mnstrm Mdcn Sngng th Bls

n fnl nt: thr r ndd lt f hckstrs whn t cms t ppl ttng thr slvr prdcts, bt wh dd th htcht jb n Spncr Jns psts hr? ld Spnc ds lk t tt hs clldl slvr, bt t s hrd t cll hm hckstr r spmmr whn hs nfrmtn s bsclly ccrt.

t s knd f hrd t cll sbtnc qck mdcn whn t hs bn prvn t b ddly n sngl clld pthgns nd s sd by NS, hsptls, cmpns lk Crd, nd wtr prfctn systms.

Th nly qck spmmrs n ths ss r th ns wh cntn t prptt th myth f clldl slvr csng rgyr.

35. lautaylo says:

Sure, colloidal silver isn’t meant to be a panacea, but it really is helpful when used properly. Hospitals drop it in the eyes of infants when they are born to prevent infection. It is safer for that use than some other medicines because all it does is prevent bacteria from creating ATP, and is unlikely to cause an allergic reaction in the baby. Also, colloidal silver is sprayed on surfaces in the London and Hong Kong underground systems as an antibacterial measure.

So some people take it a little too far, but to call it “snake oil” is to imply that it’s useless, which is far from the truth.

36. Teresa Nielsen Hayden / Moderator says:

Spam from quacks.

37. Stefan Jones says:

I think Mellowknees nailed it.

Silver as a antibiotic is a sort of chemotherapy. It worked . . . but then, so did the mercury cure for syphilis. (To use an extreme example.)

Some folks appear to be using it as a sort of vitamin, thinking it will boost their immune systems. (This was the reasoning of the Libertarian pol; he was worried about the collapse of medical care after Y2K and thought he’d make himself immune through silver treatments.)

38. ill lich says:

The Blue Man Group should sue this guy.

39. mattymatt says:

Combine him with the 8-limbed girl from a few months back, and you’ve got Kali.

40. june says:

No, Kali has black skin. This guy looks more like Shiva.

41. Teresa Nielsen Hayden / Moderator says:

I’ve removed some pamphleteering and URLs left here by people who are in the colloidal silver business. In case anyone read their material and was confused by it:

Colloidal silver has mild antibiotic effects. It was at its most useful useful in the days before the development of modern antibiotics, which are vastly more effective.

Many of the present-day claims made on behalf of colloidal silver are bunk. It can have some mild beneficial effects, but none of them are unique or miraculous. Other preparations can do you just as much good (or, more likely, do more) without putting you in danger of permanently turning bluish-gray.

Colloidal silver won’t kill off the virus that causes cold sores.

The skin color produced by argyria varies from person to person. Some people turn bluer; others are more gray. I’m not sure why. I suspect it has something to do with the sallowness of their original skin tone. (Ask anyone with naturally sallow skin who’s tried lavender-purple makeup: the yellow and purple cancel each other out, leaving an ashy color.) The first person I ever met who had argyria (Evangeline Walton, around 1976) had distinctly bluish-purple undertones to her skin.

Argyria is not limited to people who use “colloidal silver that has a protein base.” The problem with colloidal silver is that it binds to the proteins in your own body and never lets go. Any preparation containing colloidal silver can produce argyria if you cumulatively get too much of it.

Argyria looks nothing like cyanosis, and vice-versa. The man whose photo is shown in the main post has argyria.

42. emayoh says:

Yeah if he moves here to to L.A. people will be asking how he got that done and what cosmetic doctor he saw. I’m with bizkit. I think it’s kinda cool.

43. Kid says:

I support this man wholeheartedly. This is the trend of the future, no sarcasm intended, your kids will love blue and silver skins.

It will go well with pink or red hair.

And who knows, since the silver is concentrated around nerves, it may as well be a method to enhance conductivity between the brain and the computers. Perhaps cyborgs will have similarly colored skins.

Haha, remember me for the prophecy!

44. Takuan says:

is giving large quantities of colloidal silver to a child a form of abuse?

45. Maurik says:

That’s amazing, I didn’t think it would actually happen. Back in my chemistry classes for A level, I was told that ingesting silver compounds (Silver Nitrate I think it was) could cause skin discolouration, so we had to be extra careful. LOL.

46. animalvegetable says:

It is a fact that silver with or without salts or nitrates can cause argyria. Does silver tarnish? Yes.

Colloidal silver contains silver. A colloid is a “homogenous mixture with solute particles larger than a solution, but smaller than a suspension.” Anything that contains silver, including colloidal silver, when taken in large enough doses, can cause argyria.

I am not discounting the possible health benefits of colloidal silver, but argyria, which is only cosmetic and not dangerous, does happen.

47. hjo3 says:

She stopped taking the drops, but the condition clear up.

Seems to be missing a “did not.”

Also, this guy would make an awesome Anti-Santa (who presumably wears a black suit, lives at the south pole, and steals toys during the summer).

48. spencerjones says:

stll fnd t bsltly mzng tht th nws md wll fnd tw r thr ppl wh gt ths bngn bt nsghtly skn cndtn t f th ltrlly mllns f rglr clldl slvr srs n th .S. nd Cnd, nd thn brdcst t frm th rftps s f t wr th nrm. Bt thy wn’t mntn th stnshng 2.2 mlln ppl wh sffr srs nd qt ftn lf-thrtnng dvrs rctns frm prscrptn drg s vry sngl yr, r th 100,000 mrcns KLLD ch yr frm prscrptn drg s, whch s 30 tms mr thn ll f th .S. trps klld n th rq wr ch yr! Lt’s s nw: tw r thr ppl trnng bl n 20 yrs frm xcssv clldl slvr sg, vrss 100,000 ppl yr bng flt-t pt nt thr grvs by cmmn drgs thr dctrs prscrbd thm. Whch s mr nwswrthy? ’ll lv tht p t y t dcd.

Fr ths ntrstd n lrnng bt sf nd sn clldl slvr sg, pls t r wb st t http://www.thslvrdg.cm nd dwnld r FR spcl rprt ttld “Wht’s th “Sfst” Dly Dsg fr Clldl Slvr?” whch ss th P’s (nvrnmntl Prtctn gncy) wn fgrs t dtrmn hw mch clldl slvr s sf t tk dly. Jst s th lnk n th lctd n th ppr lft-hnd crnr f th hm pg. Y mght ls wnt t scrll dwn th pg nd fnd th lnk ttld “Byr Bwr: Nt ll Clldl Slvr Gnrtrs r th Sm” nd rd tht rtcl, whch s pstd rght n th wb st.

Rgrds nd gd hlth!