Top P2P downloads 2007: music, movies, TV and musicians

8 Responses to “Top P2P downloads 2007: music, movies, TV and musicians”

1. pork musket says:

Hmm… I definitely downloaded 5 out of the top 10. Also, a word of advice for my fellow males, don’t watch Stardust unless you get a sloppy BJ out of the deal. It’s pretty bad.

2. manuelmartensen.com says:

Previous commenter Pork Musket is right: If you love your mustache more than anything, then Stardust might not work for you. I found it pretty watchable. But i wonder why Beowulf is so high on the list, must have been the hype, because that one really didn’t meet my expectations. BJ or not.

3. Antinous says:

Maybe Milla Jovovich really is the supreme being.

4. KurtMac says:

I think we can all agree that what the “Top P2P Songs of 2007″ list tells us is that people don’t want to pay for crappy music.

5. Antonio Lopez says:

I was going to say, “try to guess the age of the most common p2p downloader.” Now I’m not sure.

6. Agent 86 says:

I’m not sure what those other two are talking about, Stardust was an amazing adaptation of one of my favorite books (Neil Gaiman’s modern fairytales are simply perfect). At the worst, it was worth watching just for Robert De Niro’s performance!

I am happy to say I bought the book and paid to see the movie (very rare for me to spend money on such entertainment, what with the library and bit torrent both being so easy to use), and was very happy to have contributed funds to both. I did also download the torrent, but I will very likely buy the DVD (just checked, it came out the 18th) so I can share it with some friends.

I will agree that Beowulf was a failure, but I never read the graphic novel so I couldn’t tell you where the blame lays for that.

7. MOONBAT says:

I’m always amazed by what bad taste pirates have.

8. ianm says:

My girlfriend and I both quite liked Stardust, a charming sophisticated story that did not make us feel dissapointed for bothering to go to the theatre.

I was sorry to see that neither the Colbert report nor the Daily Show cracked the top 10 for TV. They should get special notice for most aggregate downloads over time or some such. Those two shows have had a rabid torrent following since ShunTV started posting the Daily Show to suprnova in 2003. ShunTV was a great little group of dedicated Daily Show / Colbert fans until it got shut down in 2005 a few months after the famous forced closure of suprnova. The irony being that it actually got EASIER to access DS/CR via torrent after it closed because mininova and a host of a other anonymous website started taking off just as the general bittorrent community was fractured by the shutdowns. Instead of fans getting their shows from one site / ripper it became very decentralized and now you’ll see large numbers of public torrent sites hosting rips from a variety of sources.

I miss the ShunTV community because it was a great place for fans to discuss the episodes and topics that emerged – a labour of love for all involved – until it was calously shut down and its members cast to the wind to enjoy in the dark all alone. Ahh the halcyon days…