Rules of Thumb website

14 Responses to “Rules of Thumb website”

1. vanderleun says:

Super site. Just super. I was Tom Parker’s editor for his three books of Rules of Thumb back in the 80s and I’m glad to see they made it to the web and, I hope, will thrive there.

For the record, there were indeed three books:
    Rules of Thumb
    Rules of Thumb II
    and
    Never Trust a Calm Dog

All super titles that are worth the money if you can hunt them down and find them today.

2. help i cant comfirm my username themelonbread says:

The only reason why I wanted to comment on this was the folk-etymology of the term, but I guess that another reader of straight dope’s got it covered :).

3. Mark Frauenfelder says:

That you, boswell?

4. slightly ridiculous says:

Really enjoyed this in print when I discovered it in the early 90′s. This looks fun!

5. slightly ridiculous says:

6. Jeff says:

It seems interesting. I’d like to partake, just to see what kind of rules emerge. Rules of thumb should tap into core experiences, I would think. How does giving someone a good rating end up rating me? Woofie for your rules?

7. fastveg says:

See “The Bookdock Saints” for the etymology of the phrase “Rule of Thumb.”

8. fastveg says:

The Boondock Saints, even. ;)

9. Gemma says:

Or you could check The Straight Dope who debunk the above etymology:

10. simplehuman says:

Actually the whole “stick you can beat your wife with” explanation mainly a myth. Seems it comes from fencing, not spousal abuse.

Interesting idea for a site.

11. O3 says:

No no, only the earliest citation comes, by chance, from a fencing book. The idiom is in no way fencing-related.

I wondered how quickly this site would spur an etymological debate! :)

12. Tom says:

Perusing the links, there is no debate. The facts are:

1) There are in fact legal citations indicating that a husband might at one time have been permitted to beat his wife with a stick no thicker than his thumb.

2) This fact has nothing to do with the phrase “rule of thumb”, and no citation from the legal literature has ever been brought forward that refers to the fact 1) above as a “rule of thumb”.

3) Anyone who has worked in carpentry has used their thumb as a (rough) measure at one time or another. This is a plausible but unproven alternative etymology, so we can’t just accept the legal story by default due to lack of plausible alternatives.

The weird thing is that people think affirming or denying the existence of a legal standard allowing a husband to beat his wife is by itself sufficient to justify their beliefs about the etymology of “rule of thumb”, whereas what matters is whether or not anyone can find a reference to such a legal standard being called a “rule of thumb.” Thus far, they cannot.

13. jessamyn says:

This is great news. I have loved the book and its illustrations since I was a kid. I’m curious of the weeding really will improve value as opposed to “interestingness” which may be a different metric.

14. Stacyj says:

Very neat idea for a site, although I do wish there were a way to read what you want (from the ‘Main Rules Collecion’) in a single-column format rather than having it share the screen with that other ‘New Rules Pending’ column. The rules are brief enough that it doesn’t get -too- annoying or require too much scrolling, but it still looks a little more cluttered than is really necessary, to me.

Regardless, though, it’s a cool site and my day has just been made by discovering the following tidbit of information: “There are approximately 250 mice to the gallon.”

If THAT won’t come in handy I don’t know what will!