Miro 1.1: faster torrenting for better net TV

10 Responses to “Miro 1.1: faster torrenting for better net TV”

1. robbt says:

I just saw the 1.1 update for Ubuntu come out today.

2. patholio says:

It would be great if you could configure the proxy settings for it (apols. if it now can but you couldn’t in 1.0)

3. Burz says:

Funny how Linux developers are fond of saying how easy it is to compile software yourself. Yet they take an age before distributing their releases as compiled packages.

The Miro Linux packages are still sitting at 1.0 on getmiro.com, and I presume it will take 8 weeks or more for 1.1 to hit the Ubuntu repository.

I suppose I’ll just switch to my Mac and download & install the new Miro the way its supposed to be done on a personal computer.

4. RugerRedhawk says:

How does this compare to Joost? I tried using joost because of all the hype, but found it unusable due to the constant lag.

5. hyperkine says:

I like the idea of the I Heart Miro extension, but are these guys trustworthy?

6. Cory Doctorow says:

Rugerredhawk — have a look at:

7. Brian Damage says:

@Rugerredhawk

For the most part Miro downloads content before it can be watched whereas Joost streams video on demand (though Miro can do this with content from sites like Youtube). Also, Joost is a closed publishing platform while anyone can post content on Miro. Miro has TONS more content than Joost, and I find Joost’s content to be largely superficial and crappy.

Miro > Joost!!

8. Burz says:

I think the torrent update was much-needed. Hopefully you guys have figured out how to handle Podcast feeds too (that is long overdue).

With that said, can anyone from your Foundation shed some light on the uptake of BM and your strategy for promoting the torrent distribution method? I am curious because I expected to see a lot more feeds using bittorrent by this time.

9. leo says:

Why does Miro use Xine instead of VLC in Linux?

10. hyperkine says:

It seems faster but Miro still doesn’t obey Windows DPI settings. That means fonts are too small to be readable on an HTPC.