Gonzo: the Life of Hunter S. Thompson

18 Responses to “Gonzo: the Life of Hunter S. Thompson”

1. miss_ali1984 says:

Regardless of how much I respect Anita, and how much I loved her new book “The Gonzo Way”, that is obviously only one side to Hunter S. Thompson, and that is not the way we want him to be remembered. Being a Thompson mega fan (like me) is really a problem unless you can accept that Hunter had a very cold and cruel side to him. That does not by any means make him any less of a genius or an icon. A person that intense usually has a little bit of a sting to them. I have read several Thompson biographies, including Stedman’s new one, and they all reveal that Hunter was a force to be reckoned with. We all knew that from the beginning. But as Anita pointed out in her book, he lived without apology, for good or ill.

2. indiie says:

“When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro”… I got the book “Gonzo” for Christmas and loved it. Mostly pics, with a great intro written by Johnny Depp. I’ll have to check this one out. I met the good doctor once at UCSD back in the early 80′s- an amazing man. Kinda scary…. never saw human eyes that wired before.

3. erindipity says:

Funny, I was just thinking the same thing…

4. Warren Camishen says:

lt f ppl frgt BLL MRRY nd hs dpctn f THMPSN n th flm “WHR TH BFFL RM” – prtty snzzy nd t’s gt NL YNG’S DRN-Y DRG-Y SNDTRCK t psh t lng.

TRRY GLLM’S mch ltr THMPSN HMG “FR ND LTHNG” sms t b mr bt GLLM nd lss bt THMPSN.

“TH GRT SHRK HNT” (bk) s my fvrt, s t cntns n ndlss nmbr f shrt pcs…prfct fr rdng n th cr whl wtng fr my kds fnsh sccr prctc.

5. Moon says:

Jann Wenner has GOT to have a warped view of what Hunter Thompson was like, considering he was the guy who paid for most of Hunter’s escapades. Hahahaha!

/Does a warped view of a warped life get you back to normal?? :D

6. dave hutchinson says:

Ralph Steadman’s The Joke’s Over, a memoir of his times with Thompson, paints a similar picture of a man who could be difficult to love sometimes, particularly in later life, but could also be intensely loyal and generous.

7. MrfixitRick says:

“When the going gets weird, the weird go pro.” Wasn’t that it?

8. Chris says:

You boing boingers couldn’t possibly read all that you claim to read.

9. Schizohedron says:

Haven’t read the third of the series, but his first two books of letters, The Proud Highway and Fear and Loathing in America, offer a view of how his writing style evolved over the decades. Good stuff if you liked the peek at his early writing life in Shark Hunt.

10. sonny p fontaine says:

I bought my hardbound 2nd or 3rd printing edition of The Great Sharkhunt in a small used book store after finding a slightly rusted razor blade pagemarker, probably from the person that bought it. That to me is marketing Zen.

11. vonnegutlives says:

I spent an hour on the phone the other night talking to a friend about this very book and HST in general (he’s read it, I haven’t). I guess I have to pick it up now that it’s got Boing Boing’s approval as well. Doubly good.

But seriously, everyday I wish HST was alive just to cover the campaign. I don’t think there will ever be another person that can dissect a candidate like Thompson could.

12. CAPTAIN HOWDY says:

I read this book really quickly and just to make Anita happy, I read it at the bookstore.

13. MrCranky says:

This anecdote perfectly illustrates his generosity (to his friends) and his cruelty (to his wife).

14. sonny p fontaine says:

#6 VONNEGUTLIVES you could reread his accounts of the nixon administration and his coverage of the 92′ election.

15. agreatnotion says:

I finally started reading this last week. I don’t want to put it down. I am tempted to find a dark corner of the office to hide in and read instead of sitting at my desk in front of the computer.

16. cstatman says:

mark, your stock just went up another notch with me.

17. Welcome to Wallyworld says:

Yes Mark, his book on the Hells Angels was a beauty. I met Hunter S. in Australia. Here’s an old vid I made about it – Surfing on Powder

18. rsk says:

HST was one of the most acute political observers
    it’s every been my pleasure to read. Every time
    I see what fresh horror our increasingly fascist,
    increasingly theocratic government has in mind for
    us, there’s a moment when I wonder what HST will
    say…before I remember that he’s gone.

As to his negative qualities, they pale in
    significance to his genius. Any moron can be
    polite; only a precious few can be brilliant.