Rosie the Riveter (North Vietnamese edition)

10 Responses to “Rosie the Riveter (North Vietnamese edition)”

1. Practical Archivist says:

Uh, #2? Interesting theory, but as the librarian who scanned the original print back in 1994 I can tell ya it ain’t so. You’re welcome to examine the print yourself @Memorial Library Special Collections, University of Wisconsin-Madison. It’s a striking photo.

2. RichSPK says:

Yow! She had to hold her mask with one hand while she welded with the other? That had to suck!

3. Dan Freeman says:

Wait a minute, doesn’t Rosie the Riveter not really count under communist regimes? I mean, it’s not like she chose to go to work as an empowered female supporting the war effort in any way possible, as Rosie represents. She was probably forced to.

The ideals of equality in socialism are no doubt, well, ideal, but c’mon let’s be honest about what this woman was/is truly facing in North Korea – work or starve.

Or work and starve anyway.

Totally unrelated – is there a way to post a comment after previewing it? I couldn’t seem to find a way.

4. Takuan says:

you don’t think people in communist countries can be patriotic?

5. konshtok says:

it’s a photoshop or whatever it was called back then
    the face is pasted

6. sonny p fontaine says:

#7 dan freeman it was pretty much the same here. just because the u.s. was the wealthiest country (wealthy enough to fund the riech)doesn’t mean that the females left behind could just sit back at home and milk the savings account. the patriotic angle is always trump’d up by the american media.

7. sonny p fontaine says:

#2 WOW!!!already? it’s been like, what, two days?

8. EdT. says:

@#8 wrote: “you don’t think people in communist countries can be patriotic?”

Of course they can. In fact, it’s mandatory. :-)

9. Takuan says:

yes, rather like the coming loyalty oaths that Homeland Security is working on

10. bifbangpow says:

Thanks for posting this! I was amazed after I went to Vietnam and learned about the efforts of the women during the war. After I returned home I wrote about Vietnamese women soldiers, factory workers and agriculturalists…the women really made the country survive during those years.