Martin Luther King, Jr. playlist

6 Responses to “Martin Luther King, Jr. playlist”

1. Squashy says:

Oh no, a picture of Martin Luther King! Teh copyrightzz!!!11!!

2. cinemajay says:

In 1998 I went to Atlanta for a conference and took it upon myself to go see Ebeneezer Babtist Church (and the King center nearby). I never forgot the moving words they played over the speakers in the sanctuary. Hearing his voice in that space gave me chills, as if I was hearing the words of an actual prophet.

Unfortunately, we had to leave though as we’d just gotten there before the doors were about to close. In 2006, I had the unique opportunity to go back and this time–made an afternoon of it. I went and saw not only the church, but the nearby center’s exhibit containing his personal affects, his nobel prize, and artifacts related to Gandhi’s nonviolent/civil disobedience movement (whom King patterned his own movement after).

I can say without a doubt that Dr. King’s legacy has had an impact on me, personally and permanently.

3. cranched says:

Forget the pic, the “I Have A Dream” speech is copyrighted:

Copyright inquiries and permission requests may be directed to:

Estate of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr
    Intellectual Properties Management
    One Freedom Plaza
    449 Auburn Avenue NE
    Atlanta, GA 30312
    Fax: 404-526-8969

4. getjustin says:

I must say, MLK Jr. Day is the only national holiday that I “celebrate”. By that I mean actually doing something pertaining to why we have the day off. I don’t go to VFW halls, fly flags, or plants trees, but every MLK Day I take the time to listen to the “I Have a Dream” speech.

5. vorpalsword says:

I’ve heard the full “I Have A Dream” speech played at school each year… it sends shivers up my spine each time, even though I know it nearly by heart.

I wish more people could speak like that today. If Cicero could see modern politicians, probably the only one who wouldn’t make him wince (in terms of oratory, anyway) would be Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

6. ianm says:

I would highly recommend the Democracy Now! MLK Day special they broadcast each year. Its available in all kinds of different media (mp3, ogg, mp4) on their website or using Miro. They present MLK in his own words:

You may also want to search DN! as they have done several other specials to commemorate his assisination and other occasions. If you look through the archives, they have also done interviews with his son who discusses the reasons behind the protection by copyright and other means of the ‘MLK Brand’ (and the use of his image in advertising).

DN! makes a point of presenting public figures from the past and present in their own words – not something you’ll find on most other media outlets (other than BB!).