Today in my ongoing series of photos from my travels over the years: a beautiful straight-razor that Jack brought to my talk at UC Irvine last year. Jack used an antique cut-throat razor then made his own handle using circuit boards. Link

12 Responses to “Homemade circuit-board straight-razor”

1. Cory Doctorow says:

Michael@6: You know, I can’t remember, but IIRC it was bare board. Looks like it in the photo.

2. Michael R. Bernstein says:

Cory, I concur about the photo looking like bare board, that’s why I asked.

Frankly, I wouldn’t want to regularly handle something carved out of fiberglass without some kind of protective sealant or coating, at least along the edges.

3. deepy says:

s t stmpnk? f s t nds ll ct cptn nd tch mmb-jmb dscrptn nd crftsy knt hll ktty/str trk tt-bg nd n xqstly crpy scry-bby-rt lthr-pt nd Bskp-dsgnd strp nd trds nd…

4. planettom says:

Sweeney MOD!

5. bencar says:

Sweeney Todd is a fictional villain. A fictional barber and an early example of a fictional serial killer, the character appears in various English language works starting in the mid-19th century. His weapon of choice is a straight razor, with which he cuts his victim’s throats; in some versions of the story Mrs. Lovett, who is variously his lover, friend, and/or accomplice, and who is variously Marjorie, Sarah, Nellie, Shirley or Claudette, bakes the corpses of his victims into meat pies…

6. bjrn says:

Just a little note. This Jack guy didn’t make the handles, he bought the razor with those scales on it.

They were made by someone else, you can see some more pics of it in a post by the guy who made them here.

7. dculberson says:

“bencar” and “cancar” appear to be spambots…?

8. Michael R. Bernstein says:

Cory, I can’t tell from the photo, was the handle lacquered or otherwise coated, or was this bare board material?

9. jamesey says:

you could sneak one of those onto a plane and cut someone!

10. Talia says:

My dad and a friend of his founded a company that was selling regular knives with circuit boards for handles for a while. Didn’t do terribly well; probably lack of marketing.

11. HP says:

Any steampunk modders out there reading this?

Because, as a recently diagnosed diabetic, what I really want is steampunk diabetic lancet. Combine the form, function, and sterility of a modern diabetic spring lancet with the aesthetics of a 19th c. presentation spring lancet (used for bloodletting, cupping, and leeching).

Medical practicality, esthetics, and the everpresent suggestion of blood. It would have everything.

If my sense of the overlap between geeks, medical collectors, and diabetics is right, you could make a million.

12. Jake0748 says:

Cool, now you can get busted at a TSA checkpoint for both the knife AND the “improvised electronic device”, all in one handy gadget. Seriously, it is pretty neat though.