14 Responses to “SFWA European Hall of Fame: a chance to read sf from outside of the Anglo Bubble”

1. flipa says:

As a Finn living in Portugal, I take a very small amount of offense at the map on the book cover. Did they really have to crop both of my countries – both featured in the book – off the map?
    Damn the inconvenient shape of Europe.

2. Antonio Lopez says:

Isn’t “Anglo” European, as in British?

3. Nelson.C says:

Well, the subtitle on the cover says “from the continent”, which would exclude the British Isles. British SF is pretty well represented in the American market anyway, I think. I suppose they could have titled the book “The SFWA Languages-other-than-English Hall of Fame” but it seems a little overly pedantic.

4. Luis says:

Cory, the lastname of the spanish writer is Cotrina (not Contrina). You can check his profile at wikipedia ( Reply

• jennee says:

Glad you liked the Romanian story :) I haven’t read it, but any recognition we get is good :D

• PiKei says:

Dear Cory,

I am glad you liked my story, but I am really gladder (is there such a type?) that you liked the anthology, mostly because James & Kathy really worked hard for it. I know that first-handed.

I only have two minor thinks to add.
    Please lose the last e in the word Athose. Its Athos.And the Rumanian author’s name is Lucian Merisca. Cezar Ionescu is the translator’s name.

I am really thrilled by the rest of your post. It’s not easy to understand this gap between native English speakers and the rest of us. And up to now I never show that as an advantage. So your post was illuminating for me too.

Writing SF in a “small” language, is like walking in a minefield. But this is something we should talk about in a EuroCon or a bar, with plenty of drinks and time, not in a comment here.

Thanx again,

Panagiotis Koustas

• gladeye says:

I can’t help but wonder now, what does SFWA stand for? Science Fiction something??

• Cory Doctorow says:

Thanks Luis!

• John Platt says:

Sounds like a great book — but what a terrible title! Talk about marketing only to a tiny, in-the-know audience…

• jjasper says:

Ironically, it stands for Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America.

Could also be South Florida Windsurfing Association or Southwestern Firearms.

Imagine if they all merged. Then we could have a windsurfing, shotgun wielding, John Scalzi.

• john75half says:

I took a Spanish Science Fiction class a few years ago (SF in Spanish, not from Spain.) It focused mainly on stories from Cuba, Mexico and Argentina. There was some really good stuff out there – maybe someday they’ll do a Latin American version of this compilation.

• Mnemesis says:

While it is certainly valuable to read and enjoy literature from all cultural backgrounds, I have to say as someone who has been both a translator and a student of literature in other languages for many a year now (including German, Greek, Old English and Japanese), please, PLEASE don’t assume you know anything about the author’s style, or influences, or whatnot, from a translation. Remember, a translator, even the very best translator, is a filter that inevitably skews the style of the original.
    The stilted quality that Cory refers to is very likely the translation; finding the happy medium somewhere between writing your own story with the “flavor” of the original and a word-by-word gloss of the original very often leads to a certain vague “otherness” in the text.
    That said, I do look forward to this filling of a great hole in my library–Romanian SF!

• uglybadbear says:

Thanks Koustas for pointing Cory his little error.
    I’ve read some of the stories both in original and in translation. Kathy and Jim Morrow (two wonderful people I was happy to meet not so long ago at the Utopiales convention in Nantes) have done an excellent job in adapting them, managing to convey the spirit of the originals.
    @Mnemesis: Romanian F&SF will no longer be such an exotic thing soon, a couple of anthologies (one with SF, the other with fantasy stories) translated into english are in the works right now and will be published by an American small press. Expect them to hit shelves sometime in Spring-Summer 2009.

• nex says: