23 Responses to “Organlegging nurse sold diseased corpsemeat for dental implants, knees and disks”

1. Hamish Grant says:

Readers interested in the illegal trade in tissue, bone and other valuable body parts should check out Annie Cheney’s terrific book on the subject, “The Body Brokers:Inside America’s Underground Trade in Human Remains” (available at the usual online outlets)… I read it last year and I just could not believe what some people get up to when they’re given the charge of human remains as part of their occupation.

2. velocity girl says:

Here’s a good little radio documentary from the CBC on the subject that you can read or listen to:

3. Anaxaforminges says:

As someone who might get a disc replacement soon, this story horrifies me. This woman should be shot. And what the hell are funeral directors selling bodies for? Isn’t that illegal?

4. Takuan says:

thank the gods religious idiots block stem cell research

5. WatchfulBabbler says:

This case was broken back in 2006. The former oral surgeon was the ringleader — he ended up with a Demerol addiction and without his medical license, so he became chief organlegger for RTI, a major tissue bank. (RTI claims they had no idea what he was up to.) Cruceta was the nurse, joining up after his wife lost her job post-9/11. The whole team would take corpses destined for the crematorium and use them for organ donations. Interestingly, one of their, er, donors was Alistair Cooke.

6. Takuan says:

an organ donation system that requires you to opt OUT would solve all this – and more

7. WatchfulBabbler says:

‘Ere we go: good article on the whole ugly business.

8. Stefan Jones says:

This story has been the basis of a “Law and Order” episode. DUHM-DUHM!

You know, you couldn’t come up with a better name for an corpse-raiding bio-fraudster than Mastromarino if you tried.

9. flipa says:

Not exactly an “oral surgeon-turned-nurse-turned-organlegger” – the story talks about a nurse, Lee Cruceta, and a former oral surgeon, Michael Mastromarino. It looks like BB got these two mixed up.

Also, neither one of these is a woman, like the first commenter assumes.

10. mdhatter says:

I can has unicorn?

11. Antinous says:

I love it when you say corpsemeat. I had a (totally unnecessary) aortic angiogram four years ago and they plugged my groin incision with a hunk of former human. It works really well, but it’s weird having a piece of cadaver in your leg. I wonder if it was a voluntary donation.

12. orville says:

It’s worse when the parts are coming from a living, breathing, adorable bear who just wanted to make some quick cash:

http://electricstorytime.blogspot.com/2006/12/very-fuzzy-wuzzy-christmas.html -

13. Irene Delse says:

Wow, this sounds awfully like a “Bones” episode. I think the title was “The graft in the girl”. Creepy.

14. ill lich says:

The phrase “Whatever the market will bear” comes to mind.

15. Stefan Jones says:

#8: No, sorry. The unicorn died and . . . well, you don’t want to know what they did with her horn.

Let’s just say Dick Cheney’s new dentures sure are golden and shiny.

16. thebonobo says:

A quick scan of the global organ trade:

17. EdT. says:

Was I the only one who had to Google “organlegger”? Okay, it seems obvious NOW (kind of like bootlegger, but with, umm, organs).

18. Fnarf says:

That doesn’t make any sense. Bootleggers don’t bootleg boots.

19. cycle23 says:

I’m pretty sure it meant you hid booze in your boot-leg. Maybe Cory means they hid tissue in their own organs. Or had piano keys for toes. Give him a break, he lives in UK sometimes. Their English SUCKS. I expect my comment on the nanny state to be edited by BB’s own nanny state. This site used to be cool. Like when tkblog was hot.

20. eap says:

Glad I didn’t go with the cadaver graft for my last knee surgery.

21. Cheqyr says:

Larry Niven used the term “organlegger” in his fiction to mean just this sort of activity. I’m sure a number of writers (like Cory) would have learned it from him, if nowhere else.

22. Teresa Nielsen Hayden / Moderator says:

Yup. SF’s had that word for decades.

23. BubblesUp says:

For me, the scariest part is that I went to parochial grammar school with this guy. I didn’t realize it was him until a friend pointed it out. You never know where people will go with their lives…