Lori Nix's tabletop photography

14 Responses to “Lori Nix's tabletop photography”

1. mellowknees says:

These are incredible. I can’t imagine how long it must take her to build each set. I’ve been wanting to do something like this for a long time with assorted dollhouses and stuff I’ve collected over the years…but, wow, this puts my ideas to SHAME!

@#7 – I think you might be missing the point of the whole thing. “Photchops” does not look better.

2. leicster says:

Amazing! I wonder how much she charges to set up HO Scale train sets.

3. FAC33 says:

#6 – that was my first thought as well.

4. Anne K. says:

This reminds me of the Thorne rooms at the Chicago Art Institute (and other museums) or Collen Moore’s Fairy Castle at the Museum of Science and Industry (also in Chicago).

5. Patrick Dodds says:

Crikey – like the Chapman brothers but with talent.

6. Halloween Jack says:

That diorama should be called “Tree’s Revenge.”

7. Mikey Likes BoingBoing says:

I wonder if I could commission Lori Nix to do a similar hyperreal decay and abandonment piece of artwork, set inside a megachurch…?

8. nicheplayer says:

Reminds me a lot of the photos from the *actual* decay at the Detroit Public Schools Book Repository:

Some great shots.

9. misteraitch says:

There are several artist/photographers doing fascinating work in this and similar veins: see also Kim Keever, Didier Massard, Charles Matton, James Casebere, Edwin Zwakman, Oliver Boberg, David Levinthal and Corinne May Botz.

10. hellhead says:

That is cool.

11. uberchet says:

FYI, Nix’s show at the Randall Scott Gallery apparently ended in December. I wrote to request a Tuesday appointment to see the work (I’ll be in town briefly, but they’re appointment-only on Tuesdays), and Mr Scott gave me the bad news.

He did say they’ve got one or two still there, but the show itself is over.

12. Dustin Driver says:

Gorgeous. I love it. Makes me want a model city in the basement, like Maitland in Beteljuice.

13. hangelbr says:

This reminds me of this Vergara photo of the
    Camden Library. I agree with Misteraitch Re: Corinne May Botz, whose book The Nutshell Studies of Unexplained Death is quite excellent.

14. SpicyMeatSandwich says:

I thought something looked very odd about the photo. Just knowing her technique makes it un-enjoyable for me because, it looks so fake. Photchops look better. Schmeeeeeeeeeee!