LP collection comes with a battery operated toy car that is a record player.

13 Responses to “LP collection comes with a battery operated toy car that is a record player.”

1. historyman68 says:

@6 “Wears thin pretty quick.”

pun intended?

2. DMcK says:

From what I’ve heard, “Vinyl Killer” is a pretty apt moniker. It’s a great gimmick, but better employed on records you don’t mind destroying, rather than limited editions.

3. Baldhead says:

Aside from one of these toy cars (which, at least the ones put out however many decades ago they first showed up, sounded TERRIBLE) being included in a limited edition vinyl set… nothing new here. Not even very interesting.

4. arkizzle says:

..yeh, really, these have been around for years.
    We had a little VW camper van one.

5. kip w says:

I pointed one of my art teachers to one of those around 1982, and he bought it. At his next party, he announced a special playing of a scene from “La Boheme.” Setting the Seraphim LP reverently on a cloth, he explained that in this scene, the heroine is dying of a terrible illness. Then he brought out the little VW bus and let it go, doing terrible, terrible things to the music.

I salute you, Dr. Tichich! You Are The Man!

6. Downpressor says:

As said before do not use one of these on a record you care at all about.

@9 You forgot the Numark PT01.

7. moderngeorgia says:

Love BoingBoing, but, er, isn’t this product placement a bit obvious, with banner and display ads for the Clubman on display, or is this a happy accident for Mini…

8. jahfool says:

Its an issue of Visionaire magazine- one of their “sense” issues. The magazine often seems cool but my working-class sensibilities (and love of, among other things, food, drink, and clothes) won’t let me spend the hundreds of dollars it takes to purchase an issue.

This one seems cheap relative to other issues- maybe it isn’t selling as well, although it strikes me as a pretty cool idea, and I’m pretty sure that David Byrne was involved in the production. The vinyl and the “vinyl killer” are for show and collector value- it also comes with a CD that contains all of the sounds in the set.

9. Kim Scarborough says:

Yeah, I had one of those VW van ones too. They sound cool in theory, but what nobody realizes until you get one is that the sound is always screwed up due to the Doppler Effect. So it’s basically like listening to a record that is constantly slowing down and speeding up. Wears thin pretty quick.

10. braschlosan says:

Everything I wanted to say has been said.
    Vinyl Killer is an appropriate name.
    The sound sucks because of doppler shift.
    These have been around for a long time.

11. KSky says:

You can even get one from 20 years ago on EBay. But you have to be over 21 cause it says “Bud Light” on it.

EBay Item 150218151367

12. fantasticpoison says:

Vinyl-playing truck is aka Soundwagon: http://soundwagon.jp/top.html

There are a bunch of YouTube clips of the thing.

Invisible Skratch Picklz (I think) used to have a promotional one sold through TurntableLab (I think). Turntablists like them ’cause they’re an easy way to preview music found digging through vinyl bins, like at your local flea market or thrift store. Only other truly portable non-vintage option is the Vestax Handy Trax.

13. Uncle Geo says:

Dr. Lirpa would be proud.