TED 2008: Robert Ballard on exploring the ocean

18 Responses to “TED 2008: Robert Ballard on exploring the ocean”

1. desiredusername says:

I’m an adult and I’m hella dextrous from a lifetime of video games. I’ve been playing longer. Just saying.

2. Marisa says:

Why are people interested in going into space, but not in exploring the ocean?

Well, thats an easy question. We wanted to explore space to prove we could beat the Russians in a technology race, and prove that we could send missiles and monitor anywhere on Earth with the use of satellites.

It’s a matter of vantage point, from space you have access to a wider area!

3. Takuan says:

the fleets of nuclear armed submarines frequenting the seas right now can hit anywhere on earth

4. Colostrum says:

Marisa wrote a verry good point with the space and the ocean.
    If you have to choose one, with one you take?

5. sleepylemur says:

I used to think that humanities best chance of long term survival is to spread across multiple planets and moons. That’s probably still true, but our best bet for short term survival is to colonize the ocean.

A self sufficient undersea colony could survive the destruction of the atmosphere brought on by a large meteor strike.

6. Takuan says:

good point. The odds of asteroid-smacking scare me.
    An undersea colony, if it were by chance not on the strike hemisphere, would do well.

7. sleepylemur says:

Yeah, I think the world will end with a whimper, then a bang.

Astronomer: whimper
    Asteroid: BANG!

Having a collective undersea lair would help us weather the inevitable storm. I bet I’m not the first person to have this idea. I wonder how far along the secret colonization of the ocean floor has progressed.

Any speculations?

8. Antinous says:

Given that those with money never think about anything other than getting more money right this second, not at all.

9. Takuan says:

couldn’t keep it secret at any scale. Too many ears and eyes looking for missiles. Also, there is no vision. Our politicians are scum with their heads in the sewers, they would damn their own children’s futures – nevermind ours.

10. Antinous says:

I don’t totally get that first link. It sounds like 1 + 1 + 1 – 1 = 2. How is it beneficial to use wind power to move water to use water power?

11. Takuan says:

we don’t “make” energy, we move it around. The idea is that the gravitational differential (just like any hydro dam) is created by using wind and then the stored energy is withdrawn as required by normal flow of water. At least, that’s how I read it. Wind blows whenever,a head of water ready is always ready.

12. Antinous says:

Oh. I read it completely differently. Now it makes sense.

13. Agent 86 says:

Undersea colonies have the same problems harvesting energy from the ocean has. The sea isn’t kind to building materials – even boats are stored in fresh water, not sea water.

Also, the shock wave from both the impact and the probable massive tsunami would do a number on your little colony’s ability to keep the water out.

14. Takuan says:

squishy plastic walls, think giant ziplocs

OTEC for power

15. Agent 86 says:

I foresee problems involving standing waves forming from ocean currents, then being interrupted by giant-sea-squid collisions, causing the plastic to snap – or, just losing it’s elasticity because of the intense pressure and extreme cold.

Maybe it can be made from the self-healing urea-rubber? I’m sure the fishies will keep us in a steady supply of the basic ingredients.