Eastern Standard Tribe in German -- free, CC download, too!

6 Responses to “Eastern Standard Tribe in German -- free, CC download, too!”

1. ErikBird says:

Here’s a cool overview of all the related press for Eastern Standard Tribe. Pretty cool. Check it out…

2. Jardine says:

Cory, it must take months and months for you to write a novel. Are your novels your main source of income? What is your motivation to give them away, no strings attached? Is your publisher cool with this?

I’m obviously not Cory so I can’t really speak for him, but I think I can answer some of these questions. He gives his writing away because it helps sales (or at least doesn’t hurt sales) by getting his name out. The publisher is cool with it. I definitely don’t know the numbers, but he also makes money from speaking gigs, Boing Boing, writing articles, and short opinion pieces on a CBC radio show called Search Engine.

3. Derek says:

I thought that cover looked familiar…it’s the same as Neal Asher’s ‘Cowl’.

4. Brian Damage says:

Here’s a quote from Cory’s Eastern Standard Tribe website: (http://craphound.com/est/download.php)

“If you want to, go ahead and buy a copy and I’ll get my royalty. But there’s no obligation on you to buy it if you’ve read — you’re not ripping me off”

That is absolutely wonderful. These are the very words missing from Nine Inch Nails’ recent album, and from the book, movie, and music industries. The works are going to get pirated one way or the other so you can either embrace your fans or grapple with them.

Thanks for taking the high road, Cory. You’re a trailblazer.

5. Teresa Nielsen Hayden / Moderator says:

Derek (2), I can’t load the cover of Cory’s German edition just now, but if they are indeed the same, it’s not surprising — cover art used on one continent does get resold on another.

6. cwoehrl says:

Magic Kingdom published as “Download”? I’m sure I’ve read it as “Backup”…

Cheers, Christian

(good news anyway, this one; at my bookstore I’d been told just the other day that “Upload” wouldn’t arrive before April…)