Space Invaders cutting board

16 Responses to “Space Invaders cutting board”

1. Captn_Sideburns says:

#7 (and anyone else, really)

If you really do want one of these, I can definitely make one for you and ship it to you. Contact me at cameron at 1337motif dot com

2. arkizzle says:

1337motif?

that’s a nice name.

3. Captn_Sideburns says:

Thanks. I was pretty psyched that it hadn’t been taken.

4. runasand says:

Wow :)

5. M says:

That goes really well with my Mario-themed stuff. I think I;m into this my blog will eventually turn out to be a shrine of cool stuff retro. Check out the mario madness:

6. M says:

7. Knife Knut says:

I would be worried that the Walnut and Maple would expand and contract differently and the thing would self destruct.

8. Captn_Sideburns says:

Holy Crap I’m on BoingBoing!!!!1

I was worried about the expansion and contraction as well, but I did a great deal of research on this, and was assured by the Internets that it would not be a problem. So far it has been just fine. Granted I only finished this thing last week, but I have washed and dried it, and it did not warp or crack or anything. Only time will tell, but I also applied liberal coats of mineral oil to the entire thing to help regulate moisture. As far as knife marks go, They don’t tend to show up as much on an end-grain design like this as they would on edge grain, but they will still be there.

I seriously can’t believe this is on here…I just left work to come and comment on this.

9. liquis says:

The board is missing the much needed ‘trench’, or ‘moat’, to catch all the little scraps and liquids. This is a vitality for me, maybe not for everyone.

I use a Rogar, they are rather nice boards, and thick.

10. Thorzdad says:

Okay…I am in serious need of a new cutting board and that thing would completely rock my kitchen.

11. Rajio says:

@#4 yankeeknowhow

“Nothing useless is truly beautiful” – William Morris

12. Rajio says:

Oh, and it also would be even better if it was inverted such that it was a light charater on a dark background a la the actual game.

13. akbar56 says:

@Knife Knut

Well, I have been making custom cutting boards like this for years with various pieces of walnut and maple and have never had any complaints of warping or breaking.

14. lotek says:

the walnut/maple mix shouldn’t be a problem, but the places where the grain is oriented perpendicular to the piece next to it (over the right eye for example) might eventually cause the glue line to split.

15. gammafive says:

Nice work Capt. Sideburns, and a nice play partner for Ms. Pacman, whom we debuted at La Superette (http://lasuperette.org/home.php) for holiday season 2005:

She’s also of walnut and maple. (The lipstick, eyebrows and bow are from selected darker maple.) As for cracking, these have been out in the world for over two years, and I’ve had no reports of cracking.

gammafive