Steve Lodefink guestblogging Dinosaurs and Robots

14 Responses to “Steve Lodefink guestblogging Dinosaurs and Robots”

1. Elvis Gump says:

Aw, I thought it was a ventriloquist dummy the way it was posed, but now I notice the kiddie sneakers. Too bad, it would be a great gimmick for a ventriloquist act.

But hey, if he used his kid and a spot-on James Earl Jones voice – perhaps an accomplice backstage doing the voice so no ventriloquism was actually required- carried the kid out like a dummy, had the kid do no more than turn his head as though he were a dummy and then for the finale leap off his lap and they ‘dual’ with lightsabers to get off stage it would be pretty funny.

That is if one wanted a Forceful “ventriloquist” act…

2. misterjalopy says:

Elvis, you make a compelling case.

3. Bruce Arthurs says:

One of my (minor) interests is the African mbira, a “thumb piano” that traditionally uses a gourd as a sound chamber.

I came across a different version a few years ago, using a coconut shell for the chamber.

Much sweeter sound from the coconut.

4. flyingdutchman says:

The Altoids tin does have *one* very clear advantage over the coconut shell: It has built-in electrostatic screening. Reliably screening a coconut shell is not going to be easy.

5. scaught says:

I love the little coconut speaker. Adorable!

6. misterjalopy says:

Oh, it is more hilarious than you realize. That diminutive Darth Vader is Steve’s son.

7. Fnarf says:

The incredible force of Junior!

8. NikFromNYC says:

Coconut milk, unlike bitter instead of sweet cow milk, tastes like human milk. High milage lapdance days in NYC were the source of this observation.

A search shows that sites that sell coconut bras are all out of D cups, but also indicate that coconuts can indeed be polished to look like a spotted ebony.

A search for coconut lumber (akin to bamboo lumber) only turns up normal forestry having nothing to do with the fruit.

On drying, coconut shells tend to crack after a few weeks, so a quick inner scrapping/sanding/drying followed by a scooped on coating of fiberglass in epoxy would make such projects last longer. Enough 1/16″ fiberglass filler makes epoxy not run.

9. Unanimous Cowherd says:

Cool — but what really blew me away was the digital version of CRAFT magazine that was linked above. Wow! Amazing look, speed, controls, and nary a PDF in sight. How do they do that? Anybody know? I’d love to get any scoop on that beautiful code.

10. palindromic says:

Darth, Luke, Bono is your father. (wtf)

11. icky2000 says:

Dinos & Robots looks neat, Mark! Steve looks a little like Bono in that pic.

12. Stefan Jones says:

Another blog?

Uh . . . Mark? How many of you are there? Does cloning hurt?

13. Elvis Gump says:

I want to know if that dummy of mini-Darth means he has a ventriloquist act?

I could imagine a tiny Vader would have considerable comic implications.

I’ve scanned over his site and didn’t see an explanation for that picture. Please tell me there’s a hilarious ventriloquist bit to go with that funny as hell picture.

14. deanj says:

“Although coconut shells do have some well established niche market uses such as novelty tableware and small caged-pet shelters,…”

How could you miss coconut bikini top?