Locus Magazine critics' choice for best sf of 2007

17 Responses to “Locus Magazine critics' choice for best sf of 2007”

1. Snipe says:

Ms. Nlsn-Hydn:

‘ll dmt th Cry ‘bby wght’ cmmnt ws td crss, bt f h’s nythng t ll lk hs hmrs shrt strs, ‘m sr h wld hv bn msd by t.

‘m lttl sd tht y wld dlt my cmmnt clrfctn n ths thrd. mst crtnly dd nt ntnd t nslt hm, smply wntd t pnt t wht thgh ws ccptbl slf-prmtn, snc t sms t b sch cntnts ss.

f Mr. Dctrw nd cmpny fnd ths srt f cmmnt nccptbl, thn pls dlt my ccnt.

2. Jeff says:

Good for Charles Stross! Great book!

3. clothingoptional says:

I agree with Jeff. Just finished Halting State on cross-country flight. My head is still spinning. Just a wall of ideas, crashing against the insides of my skull. Wow.

4. stevew says:

3rd vote for Halting State, it was great. Haven’t been to Locus in a while, but this list is what I’d be looking for. Thanks Cory and congratulations.

5. Snipe says:

dn’t mnd Cry’s pndrng whn t’s sbtl, ths pst s ccptbl t m. H dsn’t mntn hmslf n th hdln, mrly n th bdy f th pst nd t’s rlvnt t smthng f brdr ntrst. Cngrts C-mn.

6. remthewanderer says:

I read Mainspring by Jay Lake. I would love to hear others insight on this book. To me this book had a great premise but then a whole lot of nothing. Oh but it did have monkey/human sex. That was great… I mean weird, that was weird.

Halting State is on my to read book shelf, I think I may pick that up next.

7. Teresa Nielsen Hayden / Moderator says:

Hurrah, Axis and Ha’penny and The Execution Channel!

8. Takuan says:

oh shut up

9. publishscaryshortstories says:

Thanks for posting this list. I have been looking for original short stories, especially sci-fi right now that are 2500 to 3500 words and could have been on Twilight Zone. Any sci-fi writers game? Online submission at http://www.wrongworld.com

10. Snipe says:

Are you a moderator? You never seem to be disemvowelled for trolling.

11. publishscaryshortstories says:

I forgot to mention. Paying pro rates – 7 1/2 cents per word. http://www.wrongworld.com for submission guidelines.

12. burningrome says:

I loved William Gibson’s Spook Country but I fail to see how it’s SF. If it is, then so is Tom Clancy……

13. Ralph Giles says:

Rem: That was my impression as well. Fabulous steampunk fantasy, but then it turned into a christian allegory, with little else around to keep one’s interest if one wasn’t looking to read a christian alegory. And the monkey thing was a bit too…colonial to be great for me.

I’d love to hear a more positive interpretation.

14. Teresa Nielsen Hayden / Moderator says:

Snipe, Takuan is not a moderator, and he occasionally loses vowels. But he does have this going for him: if he’s going to be grossly condescending, he’ll probably be funny about it. He’ll also acknowledge that that’s what he’s doing, instead of presenting it as unconvincing praise.

15. joelklabo says:

are these ranked? or in no particular order?

16. Moon says:

I only read Spook Country and Brasyl, but if those are two of the best, SF is in trouble.

They were good, but not great.

That said, at least I have a reading list!!

17. DEL says:

I have to give a Karl Schroeder and Charles Stross props for their amazing books.

Halting State like his other works is mind blowing and mind opening.

Queen of Candensce was just reread amazing character developement and his world building continues to startle. Very original.