Ten largest data breaches since 2000

9 Responses to “Ten largest data breaches since 2000”

1. rjmccall says:

The largest-yet observations of this phenomenon that naturally gets larger over time are clustered in the recent past! Shock and horror!

2. 4649 says:

Put millions of eggs in a single basket and you’re guaranteed a mess.

Yet the concentration of power and information seem to be all the rage. Is that not a compelling rebuttal of ‘the wisdom of crowds’?

3. Ugly Canuck says:

Muckraking journo Wayne Madsen claims that many of these data losses are actually spooks (CIA/NSA) populating their illegal TIA databases.

4. Matt Eric says:

I think my favorite part of that graphic is the fact that the numbers given add up to 273.9 million, or roughly 91 percent of the population of the United States.

5. Songe says:

Breaches that we know of at least. I have a feeling that there is a war going on for this sort of information that all parties are interested in hiding.

If anything, I feel somewhat reassured with the frequency of the publicized breaches, as it indicates greater willingness for the breached party to own up and warn people about what happened.

Man I shouldn’t be leaving comments, I just got back from Austin festivities 3 hours ago.

6. tim says:

Don’t forget the slight cock-up by the british civil service recently; 25 million personal records lost -

7. Drastic says:

quote- “Notice the higher frequency as we get closer to the present?”

Not really, your nice graphic doesn’t seem to show any increase in frequency. (Looks like 2 cases/year)

Maybe I’m reading it wrong…

8. Drastic says:

quote- “Notice the higher frequency as we get closer to the present?”

Ah, my mistake…

I’ve seen ‘the whole thing’(meaning the graphical timeline) now…

Not very scary, really…(could be a slight increase in frequency, or seen as twice as many cases in recent years)…just depends on how you look at it.

9. Moon says:

That TJX thing had me worried, because I used a credit card at Marshall’s AND TJ Maxx during that period.

YIKES!