Discworld "Luggage" prop on eBay for Alzheimer's

17 Responses to “Discworld "Luggage" prop on eBay for Alzheimer's”

1. CapnMarrrrk says:

You know, there are very few “famous” people I love or feel affinity for, but I have to say I love Terry Pratchett and wish him all the best.

He is indeed the Anthophila’s synovial joints.

2. Gilbert Wham says:

SAPIENT Pearwood… pedantic nerd mode

3. Chris Brewer says:

You really need to go to the official Colour of Magic website on Sky one, just to see the loading screen – won’t make much sense for the people who haven’t read the books with Hex in them, and especially whichever one it is that the joke is from… (can’t remember it off the top of my head)

4. Takuan says:

Beaming love to Terry?…. what a splendid, novel idea! I’ll just tidy up here, I don’t think it was working anyway and they DO wriggle so on the altar-stone, not to mention the stains are the devil to get out!

Beaming love. I never believed in the tangible power of mass prayer by the significant failure of Bush and Cheney to spontaneously burst into flames (think about it, literally billions of minds want them both dead). But perhaps something quantum holds in the singular, benign case. Can we tweak the Trousers of Time just a little? Could enough minds brought to bear on a few organic molecules and processes do the tiny, essential job? It’s just a few ounce of stiff jelly, maybe if we REALLY, REALLY PUSH?

try for Terry

5. stygyan says:

Wish I could have the money to buy this. And the house where to lodge it. I’d love to have it in my dirty, dirty hands.

6. stygyan says:

They don’t mention Twoflower race in the books. We assumed Twoflower was asian because of the affinity of the Agatean empire to China, but similar politics or history doesn’t mean that they’re all that equal.

7. catbeller says:

Since when is Twoflower caucasian?

8. Robert says:

Did anyone catch this?

“Also included in this money can’t buy piece of memorabilia…”

Except it’s on eBay. So apparently money CAN buy it?

9. Antongarou says:

Ebay claims that it doesn’t know the item number…

10. OriGuy says:

But is it made of sentient pearwood?

11. error404 says:

That is a really crappy home made looking thing.

Then I am not a fan of this conversion for TV,

It seems to have been done by people with no insigght into the books.

The Hogfather was rubbish.

And also David Jason (68)as Rincewind? Good gravy no.

One, he is about40 years too old to play Rincewind, secondly he is entirely the wrong appearance, and thirdly Nigel bloody Planer is there already, playing the wrong part.

Considering that Planer did the audiobooks and the computer game voices for Rincewind it would seem a bit obvious that he should play the part he made his own.

Sky One, missing the point again.

12. cdhinton says:

Same here, Antongarou. That’s a bit quick for the listing to have vanished after a closed auction… reckon eBay would have pulled it though?

13. Hargrimm says:

“Since when is Twoflower caucasian?”

Since around the same time Ged was, I believe.

14. Jack Caesar says:

My favourite bit is the description ‘money can’t buy’ – for something that’s offered for sale.

15. Pipenta says:

I’m not so much into keeping “stuff” these days, but boy, it would be cool to have this.

What I would really love is the real Luggage. Think about how wonderful that would be for flying these days. Some damn TSA jerk gets too pesky flipping through your things, and the luggage eats him! And no matter where they try to warehouse it, or what flight it goes on, it ends up by your side at your destination. I’d LOVE that. It’s like Felix’s magic bag crossed with a pit bull. Or maybe a hungry, hungry hippo!

All the best to Terry. For what it is worth, I’m beaming love to him. His books, his humor, his portrayal of characters that show his appreciation of human beings and their foibles and strengths, and his altruism have gotten me through some rough times.

He’s one of those people who makes me happy and proud to be human. I don’t often feel like that. IMO, he’s better at it than the Dalai Lama.

16. Takuan says:

do they accept organs and body parts?

17. Trent Hawkins says:

“But is it made of sentient pearwood?”
    Yes, and it’s guaranteed to protect you from Manticores.