18 Responses to “Restored Houdini movies features a fight with the first ever robot in a motion picture”

1. Antinous says:

Do we need that tutorial on URL masking again?

<a href=”URL”>VERBIAGE</a>

Also, when it’s via google images, you can amputate the first part of the URL until you get to the last http.

2. Takuan says:

I thought upon that. An URL that is legible usually offers clues to the attentive reader as to what they might be about to open. A masked URL possibly contains hazard to the socially constrained reader. Consider how many here have commented on NSFW data.

A stylistic/functional trade-off. Also, I am far too lazy and old to be taught with anything less than a large stick with TWO nails in it.

I appreciate your work though and have decided not to kill your puppy.

3. Antinous says:

Fine. At least pare the URL down to the functional parts.

How old are you, anyway?

4. dwiff says:

I am aware that Master Mystery predates Rossum’s Universal Robots.

“They” didn’t call it a robot. I did. Because we do.

And “first ever automaton” hardly conveys teh awesome that is “Q.”

Sometimes an error ain’t nuthin’ more than sidewalk hucksterism.

5. Takuan says:

So,so old……

6. Antinous says:

Can you quantify that, sensei-ue?

7. Takuan says:

old enough to need deodorant

8. georgelazenby says:

They can’t have called it a robot, ’cause that word wouldn’t be used to refer to an artificial servant for another two years when R.U.R. premiered.

9. Dave Faris says:

One has to wonder if it’s really the first robot in film, or just the earliest surviving depiction.

10. arto says:

Behind Houdini’s beard is another fist!

11. sonny p fontaine says:

i want boilerplate pants. they look roomy.

12. Junior Mad Scientist says:

Per IMDB, robot= “Q the Automaton”. Also per IMDB a version of R.U.R appeared on TV in Europe (?!??).

My wife bought me a “Master Mystery” reproduction movie poster, complete with scary mechanical man looming in the background. Awesomely cool. And the poster is nice, too.

13. Junior Mad Scientist says:

Also per IMDB a version of R.U.R appeared on TV in Europe (?!??).

should have read

“a version of R.U.R appeared on TV in Europe in 1938 (?!??)”

ah, that’s better.

14. se7a7n7 says:

that robot is awesome

15. JG says:

Harry Houdini was quite the innovator and consumer advocate at the time.
    He was the consummate showman.
    His work against crackpot mediums, tarot readers and other phony wizardry was a great service to so many left bereaved by World War One.

Truly one of the first modern Super Stars.

“The greatest escape I ever made was when I left Appleton, Wisconsin,” Harry Houdini

###

16. Cupcake Faerie says:

I just want say that Kino is a great distributor of silent era films. I recently bought the TOM VERLAINE AND JIMMY RIP: MUSIC FOR EXPERIMENTAL FILM (2007) DvD from Kino. An awesome juxtoposition of Verlaine/Rip’s guitar instrumentals with avant garde silent classics like “Etoile de Mer” and “Emak Bakia” from Man Ray, and Richter’s Rythmus 21 and several others. Check it out
    here: http://www.kino.com/video/news.php?news_id=53

17. Glossolalia Black says:

That music is really amazing. And now someone has to do a Houdini vs. The Robots comic or something.