Ji Lee's parallel universes on ceilings

25 Responses to “Ji Lee's parallel universes on ceilings”

1. Deidzoeb says:

For tiny door fetishists, check out the “fairy doors” of Ann Arbor. About a dozen stores, homes and the library have tiny doors outside or inside for urban fairies.

2. XkrisCD says:

I love this! What a fantastic idea to create your own little world on a ceiling. The opportunity for self expression is so great it Boggles the mind. I’m so glad to have seen this. I have no doubt viewers smile when they encounter these little pieces, the thought of them makes me grin! Thanks BB!

3. Jeff says:

For those of you who got to watch Canadian TV as a kid: I think I expect to see a Friendly Giant hanging upside down and arranging chairs. “And let’s move the rocker over here for Cory.” Kinda fun. I know my spiders would love this stuff!

4. Talia says:

Ceiling Cat approves.

5. the_niz says:

It’s the tiny door that really makes it.

6. cstatman says:

where is ceiling cat?

7. Jake0748 says:

As a youngster I used to lie on the couch with my head hanging over the side and try to imagine what it would be like if there was furniture up there on the ceiling. I guess I wasn’t the only one.

8. elsmiley says:

Parallel worlds? You’ve got to be kidding. I guess you can just call creating miniatures and sticking them on the ceiling a “Parallel Universe” and everyone will accept it now. He’s making doll furniture and gluing it to the ceiling. Nothing more. And there are plenty of people who create miniatures way better than he does.

9. netsharc says:

Aw, I was expecting the parallel universe to be a miniature version of the room that contains itself.. Still pretty neat.

Anyone for recursion?

10. Jake0748 says:

OK, buzzkill.

11. elsmiley says:

Ok, you’re right, that was kind of buzzkill. But still. Fine art? Here’s what miniature artwork is about. (Disclosure: Rik is my uncle) http://www.frogmorton.com/interiors.htm or http://www.frogmorton.com/hogwarts.htm.

12. Talia says:

Regardless of whether it’s “fine art,” I would argue its still pretty neat.

13. tikal2k says:

While the “creating miniatures” aspect is part of it, the bigger deal here (pun intended) is the concept.

What was that Yoko Ono piece that she did on the ceiling with the magnifying glass? It’s like that.

Also, moar cieling cat pl0x

14. Stefan Jones says:

You know, it might be worth the risk of arrest and public humiliation to sneak into strangers’ houses and install these while they’re out.

At the very least, these should be installed and left behind in hotel rooms you visit.

15. Talia says:

Also,

(no disrespect to the artist or photographer intended ; its crude, but that’s MSpaint for you).

16. Talia says:

Hmm. Darn you, finicky photobucket.

Let’s try that again with proper capitalization.

17. elsmiley says:

Well, if the concept is what is important here, the concept is very weak. I find it childish.

Agreed, tho, teh Ceiling Cat lieks teh ppl lots. No 2 ever diez no moar, k? Psst–djew ‘ear tha’?

18. Talia says:

I guess its purely a matter of taste in that regard.. like most, if not all art. :) I find it not childish but imaginative and entertaining.

19. Antinous says:

Talia,

Don’t you mean, “Nooooo! They be finickin’ mah fotobucket!”

20. Talia says:

Antinous: haha, indeed :D

21. Mark Hurst says:

Ji Lee’s Bubble Project was excellent. Here’s a video clip of Ji talking about it at my Gel conference in 2006.

22. coffeebucket says:

A few years ago, myself and a coconspiritor took it upon ourselves to decorate a friend’s “overlooked space.”

When the space’s owner became aware of our accomplishments several years later, he wasn’t as appreciative as we thought he might be (as you’ll discover in the comments).

23. stratosfyr says:

I was trying to find a ceiling fixture a while ago, and I couldn’t… so I was thinking of putting a table lamp on the ceiling (one with a finial, to keep the lampshade on).

I probably won’t, if for no other reason than possible fire hazard, but the idea of a lamp upside-down on the ceiling amuses me.

24. ZippySpincycle says:

So what happens if they install one of these at CERN?