Photos of Antarctic sea creatures

22 Responses to “Photos of Antarctic sea creatures”

1. noen says:

Mightymouse, ummm yeah, we got baby Cthulhu all right. Which means momma’s gonna be pissed. So sure, sleep well, it may be our last.

2. insomma says:

That stareater in slide six is going to give me nightmares for a very long time…

3. artistVictoriaC says:

I wish I wish I wish they didn’t kill these specimens. I know they are just itching to dissect them, though. If you read the accompanying articles, they stated that as soon as they brought the creatures out of the water, they froze to death. It’s a hard balance between observing in the wild and also wanted to know what their insides look like and how they operate. I’d be happy with just the observations. And I also skipped dissection in high school because it traumatized me.

4. McGrude says:

I new I saw that picture before…

Linked from BoingBoing a couple days back

5. gATO says:

the shrimp looks tasty…

6. MarlboroTestMonkey7 says:

Hmmm, grilled artactic cthulu with lemon and garlic.

7. mightymouse1584 says:

looks like we got to baby cthulhu first. i’ll sleep easy tonight.

8. Saint says:

How very Lovecraft, I’m getting chills.

9. cephalopod says:

Damn, this is my big day! Cephalopod FTW!

10. magic whiskey says:

Yes, I thought about the Cthulhu too:) How could you not?

11. Takuan says:

I’m a little perturbed. Is it still REALLY neccesary to take live specimens? I know this one is not ending up in some pedant’s pressed octopus collection, but in light of what stringent standards animal experiments are held to, did they really have to kill this little guy?

12. hedztalez says:

I think standards are a little less strict for invertebrates. In college they made the difference clear when collecting and dissecting.

13. Takuan says:

lousy spino-centric bigots! My people have rights too!

14. se7a7n7 says:

It looks like the alien baby that Will Smith helped deliver in “Men in Black”

15. Antinous says:

Is it still REALLY necessary to take live specimens?

The California Academy of Sciences has journals from expeditions to the Galapagos wherein they identify a tortoise as the last of its species then describe how they cooked it and what it tasted like. Ah, science.

16. David Carroll says:

Takuan (#7) Unfortunately it is very difficult to train invertebrates to pose symmetrically, so they must suffer for our art.

17. genericvox says:

I sure do love cephalopods, but am I the only one that thinks this looks like a deer tick?

Specifically, a deer tick swollen with the sweet blood of sea creatures…

18. jere7my says:

The tenth picture, of the sea star surrounded by brittle stars, is stunning. It looks like a 16th-century fresco of the night sky.

19. Takuan says:

kinda does,

20. Tamara says:

YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING!

You ran a story about humans killing sea specimens? Antarctica no less? Some cute, fleshy Starfish hanging like Abu Ghraib victims in the hands of some cute but brutal explorers?

Surely I must have misunderstood the post.

Evolution might not be geared to accommodate the most killer-prone of species, it may be geared to favor the smarter of species. Those with smarts favor respect.
    Tamara

21. Takuan says:

evolution is the bike with a trillion gears. It isn’t going anywhere, you can’t steer it and killer or smart, you keep peddling like hell while it shifts at random.

(is there a word for repeatedly sexually assaulting a metaphor?)