Boston judge: making files available to download isn't piracy

7 Responses to “Boston judge: making files available to download isn't piracy”

1. Clumpy says:

Letter-Day Saints, huh?

Typos notwithstanding, this ruling is a good, good thing. Let’s see some of the rest of our nation’s judges follow this ruling and get that precedent working on our side for a change.

2. James David says:

I knew there was a reason I joined up with EFF today.

3. Smitty7 says:

Go Boston! Pleae make up for past debacles like the Mooninite scare.

4. tofoomeister says:

#2 Jeff: While the free vs. not free debate is important, your analogy to tap vs. bottled water isn’t that great.

First, tap water isn’t free if you pay your city for water service.

Second, depending on where you live, tap water is of lesser quality than bottled, even if this is a perceived quality influenced heavily by marketing.

Third, your tap doesn’t dispense plastic bottles, and it doesn’t keep your water cold for you until the moment you need it, like a bottle sitting in a vendor’s refrigerator does. Tap and bottled are different products.

That’s the problem with digital music distribution; a song purchased and a song shared or pirated are exactly the same.

That said, I agree with #3. I don’t want to be a criminal because I have a shared folder on my hard drive.

5. angrydroid says:

See? We can be very technologically cultured here in Boston. Hey! Wait… what’s that!? Blinking LEDs!?!? Holy mother of Zeus!!

6. Jeff says:

Free water comes out my tap and I use it. But I also buy bottled water. I pay for a product that I’ve been told is better than the free stuff (I’m a lemming). But what if people just decide that free’s the only way to go? We trust that someone’s going to be good enough to buy a song instead of download it for free. We are such a trusting people. Quick, someone straighten me out. I want figures that support that give-a-way marketing works with digital products. All I see in the world is people who want somethin fer nothin.

7. RadioGuy says:

Jeff, the question you raise is legitimate, but has very little to do with the blatant need for copyright reform, or at least precedent-setting clarifications to existing copyright law.