Craiglist stoner thanks pizza guy for best pizza ever

59 Responses to “Craiglist stoner thanks pizza guy for best pizza ever”

1. ururk says:

#20 POSTED BY MIKELOTUS , APRIL 5, 2008 10:59 AM
    The Cottage Inn may have the best pizza in Ann Arbor, but it like all Michigan Pizza is garbage. A restaurant in NY or NJ would not stay in business a week selling garbage like that.

Btu it is all we have. That is, the few good pizza places (Cottage Inn, Pizza Cutter in Northville, Mothers Pizza, and few others) have really good pizza, but when compared to the legendary pizzas of Boston, NY, NJ, etc… they don’t come close. I once soared to that high point in the sky, only to fall down once again when the vacation ended, and I had to return home (to MI).

What was sad, almost tragic, was that even the run of the mill pizza chains had better pizza than the fancier pizza places back in MI.

And, after all, if someone hasn’t been exposed to the “good stuff” they really cannot draw a comparison. So it is very unfair of you to crush their tastebuds :P

2. Cupcake Faerie says:

As a former Michigander (yes that’s what they call them), I would just like to say that Cottage Inn pizza is quite delicious. Probably the best thing about Michigan except for Bells Beer which is even better than the pizza. There really is no other reason to be there.

3. ROSSINDETROIT says:

And what’s with “The Best Pizza” now? Is this a Nobel Prize category I haven’t heard of? Jeepers, folks. It’s bread and cheese and sauce and some other stuff that’s not all that earth shaking. Life will manage to go on with the Pizza King uncrowned.

Said the man sitting 5 miles from the Dominos and Cottage (not College) Inn home offices.

4. eclectro says:

Imagine if they legalized pot, then all conversations could be like that.

5. me not you says:

This post is a repeat fake post verbatim. Every couple of months this same missed connections ad shows up on Ann Arbor’s Craigslist. No very BoingBoing worthy.

6. Antinous says:

I’m afraid that good pizza is more important to the mass of Americans than world peace. But they don’t have to be mutually exclusive. They don’t.

7. Maurik says:

@12 : proof plz.

Shame if it’s true :(

8. Doomstalk says:

I think the best part is that he specifies the location as “The One By Jimmy-Johns”.

9. Mike8787 says:

@13: Since I saw this 2 years ago, I think that’s proof enough

@10: Does that mean that what’s good for the Michigoose is good for the Michigander?

10. Clifton says:

I just realized I was remiss in not mentioning Octopus Pie’s notional Bake ‘n Bake bakery: “Every baker is totally high.”

11. KidDork says:

This is why I don’t do drugs. I only drink two litres of Thunderbird each night and call my ex-girlfriends at three a.m. to ask why they don’t love me any more.

12. Darren Barefoot says:

I’m reasonably certain that I saw this scene in a movie or TV show a few years ago, but I can’t place it.

13. slates81 says:

That is just incredibly sweet.

14. EH says:

#11 proves that if the Onion reference didn’t already exist, we would have had to invent it.

15. mikelotus says:

16. Takuan says:

Hey man!

Yeah, bro?

I,like, dropped it man….sorry.

What? Ah jeez? What?…. Really?……….what?.

S’OK though, I like picked out the chunks n stuff.

Oh…. well OK then

17. ohkimber says:

I like the story but the times I remember being that messed up, I couldn’t remember any of the conversations I’d had. In fact, last week is pretty blurry.

18. minTphresh says:

( wack, wack, wack) that’s my skull!! i’m sooo wasted!

19. Billistic says:

Wow, this is old as the hills.

20. Maurik says:

@15:

Oh of course, because a “guy on the internet” saw it, it’s true

21. Wickedashtray says:

God I hate stoners

22. Takuan says:

aw man, don’t be a hater. That is sooo heavy….. Here, have some of this:

23. Abby says:

Great story, even if it is a fake/fish story.

24. ROSSINDETROIT says:

Stoners will eat anything. Especially crunchy stuff. Once when out of snacks, I handed a buzzed pal a bowl full of styrofoam packing peanuts. It took him far too long to figure out this was not food. That was in East Lansing, Home of Michigan State, and a far more baked town than ultra-serious Ann Arbor.

25. trueblue2 says:

You Ann Arbor kids should try Silvio’s. They have way more toppings than the Cottage Inn. Very cool people working there too.

Whether or not the Craigslist posting is “legit” does not change the fact that I’m sure similar scenarios play out all the time in this town.

26. mmbb says:

@13: does September, 18, 2007 work for you?

but, duuuude, it’s still funny!!

27. me not you says:

@30 – Thanks for posting the link for evidence! I wasn’t going to waste time looking for previous ones.

from 12.

28. maturin says:

I have to say….when I think of someone like Terry Pratchett who is fighting for his life and would literally give anything to NOT have his mind work in the manner described above, it kind of makes me want to puke when I read that posting.

29. Dan Wineman says:

@31:

Getting all huffy and announcing that a “Best Of” post dated six months ago is old: $0.00

Falling for it when someone posts the exact same link as some kind of “proof” of your point: $0.00

Doing all of the above in a story about stoners: priceless.

30. coaxial says:

@#20 MIKELOTUS

Yeah. A NY/NJ place has to sell bland floppy garbage to stay in business.

Coming from the midwest to California, I can say that California has the worst pizza. It’ not always bad. It’s just never good. The best is just merely acceptable. (Get a decent pizza joint SF Bay!)

31. scoop says:

@32:

I think you either don’t know what Alzheimer’s does to one or what weed does.

Fake or not, that was a very funny ad.

32. Abby says:

@32:
    Good point, but I don’t think Terry Pratchett is fighting for his life. He is fighting for his mind, and for other’s lives. Ten years ago, my grandfather was given drugs for his Alzheimer’s that would’ve put marijuana to shame and it didn’t help him in the end. Terry Pratchett is fighting for others to be able to make decisions for themselves, including the decision to waste it.
    We decide to waste our life every day by doing menial tasks at work, arguing about the next great sports star, following the latest Spears gossip and generally acting like humans do. Most of us aren’t out there taking full advantage of life while others fight for our right to do so. Isn’t that as tragic? It’s as much a waste of the gift of life as wasting a few cells to enjoy life. Terry Pratchett has contributed to that, as painful a truth as that might be. I know I’ve spent many hours of my life in his little universe and it’s like a drug to me. I love it and crave more of it. I’ve read while I could’ve been following his example to find something to stop the terror that is Alzheimer’s.

33. scottfree says:

I remember serenading the dominos fellow once whilst completely munted after band practice. we did a nice little improvised blues number. he could have been more appreciative, really. wish we had recorded it.

34. lectroid says:

@35:

For thin crust, try mulberry st pizza on smith ranch road in san rafael.

for chicago style, Zachary’s Pizza in Albany or Berkeley

35. jireva says:

That’s beautiful

36. RJ says:

Despite having read this somewhere before, it’s still funny. It wouldn’t be surprising if it actually happened, or at least was based in reality.

37. anthropomorphictoast says:

Aww, that’s kinda cute. I mean, seriously, considering how thankless and impersonal the job of a foodservice person is, getting a genuine thank-you is really sweet. :)

38. Jackasimov says:

Anyone think that maybe some terrorists might be using coded messages on Craig’s List to plan something nefarious.

Stoned = kill everyone
    Pizza = bombs
    Sun Dried Tomatoes = Some predetermined date like a Wednesday
    Laughing Uncontrollably = Receive our reward in heaven

So obvious.

Now I just need to crack the anchovy code.

(Either that or it’s guerrilla marketing by College Inn)

39. coaxial says:

@38:

Have to try them out sometime. Chicago style is best.

40. Wickedashtray says:

Is Haymarket Pizza still open in Boston?

ratty little stall with a couple of doors lying across sawhorses for tables serving the best damned Pizza EVER!

The Chourico (Portugese spicy sausage) and cheese is particularly good.

41. SC_Wolf says:

This was posted 15 days too early. Should have saved it for 4/20.

42. klaradox says:

@ #25 What was there in the conversation that made you say you hate stoners? (actually I think the majority of people – under 40 smoke dope from time-to-time, so be carefull what you are saying ;) )
    I think this post was not as interesting as most of the other stuff here on Boing Boing, but it was kind of refreshing to read it. A conversation like any other conversation, only a bit friendlier maybe. Still, I think I don’t mind that I read it. MY mind is experiencing information-overload these weeks, so I am in need of things like this, that don’t contain anything worth remembering :)

(/blabbing)

43. DataWhat says:

@43

Nah, #8 was right. Posting a link about Ann Arbor stoners on the date of Hash Bash was Right on!

It was beautiful here in Ann Arbor today too — The first Hash Bash I can remember that wasn’t 35° and rainy.

Oh wait…this is actually the first Hash Bash I can remember!

Mmmmm…Pizza with those tomatoes that are dried by that…shining thing…in the sky.

44. Scuba SM says:

URURK-

I absolutely love Mother’s Pizza. I can personally demolish half of a The Works Big Mother, with a handful of the cheesey bread on the side. Mother’s is pretty much the only pizza in Michigan that I actually get excited about.

45. wlockhart says:

Wow… I wonder if that’s how they came up with the term “pizza stoner”.. or was that “pizza stone”

lol!

46. js7a says:

I love this thread so much.

47. travelina says:

Reminds me of the “Lobster Fisherman, 5 a.m.” on Kasper Hauser’s missed connections:

48. alisong76 says:

These guys are so in love!

49. butfirst says:

In my fantasies this would be scenario for the best 20 minute play ever written by Harold Pinter.

50. Wickedashtray says:

#55

I like to think if the whole world could just sit down at a big table, split some pizza’s and some pitchers of beer we’d all get along fine.

51. dculberson says:

Say what you will about stoners and their ability to eat anything while baked, but that sounds like an awesome pizza.

Unfortunately, my favorite pizza place has neither anchovies nor sundried tomatoes. Time to go hunting!

52. Xopher says:

As a former Michigander who now lives in the NYC area, let me just say this: thin-crust pizza is for the birds. Literally, feed it to the birds.

New Yorkers like thin-crust pizza because New York pizza places don’t know how to make crust that doesn’t taste like dust and ashes, so they want as little as possible.

In Michigan “double crust” is an item on pizza. And yes, people order it. The crust is GOOD.

And any pizza you can fold in half…well, like I said, that’s bird food.

53. slummy says:

ahh.. so rare those moments are. i understand his gratitude.

54. seyo says:

dude, thats a total ‘shop job, my friend has photoshop and i’ve used it a lot so i can totally tell.

55. Xopher says:

How sweet! Sweet, yet pathetic.

Brings back fond memories of a time in my life I’m glad is long over. What an odd sensation.

ButFirst 3: Pinter by way of Cheech & Chong.

56. ulotrichous says:

This is a very timely post. Today is the first saturday of april in ann arbor, which means Hash Bash! At high noon. I’m seriously considering taking the kids to see the sights.

57. doplgangr says: