Working doll-house-sized TVs that talk to consoles, cable, DVD players

12 Responses to “Working doll-house-sized TVs that talk to consoles, cable, DVD players”

1. Bitgod says:

Barbie keeps asking for the Spice channel.

2. ploni says:

Very funny, Cory. But depressing.

3. Elapsv says:

I think this is very nice idea by itself. Yet I doubt if it’s very clever to make children use this thing in games (I mean, sometimes children spend a lot of time watching TV, or playing some other electronic things, why give them another way to waste their time). Sorry if I sound too rough, but I hope you got the idea.

4. fsck says:

And this being the UK, if this little toy is classed as “Equipment capable of receiving a television signal”*, you’ll need a license for it too. That’ll be £139.50 please, as this is a colour set.

* It’s not. This is a joke.

P.S. Are we a little upset about the $/£ exchange rate at the moment, Cory?

5. Buckethead says:

He’s selling them for £99 (US$6,700,232.22).

Whoa! The dollar isn’t doing too well, but it’s not that bad yet!!

6. tolchocker says:

“He’s selling them for £99 (US$6,700,232.22).”

You see, it’s funny because the US dollar is currently rather weak against the British pound…

7. RyanH says:

@ #3
    Well, considering Cory is a Canadian living in the UK, I suspect that the US$ exchange rate doesn’t bother him too much. It does however let him mock it.

8. Mikey Likes BoingBoing says:

He’s selling them for £99 (US$6,700,232.22).

LOL. I do live in America and enjoy “gallows humor.”

We are not yet at Weimar Republic levels yet, but it’ll get much worse.

Anecdotal example: A small community bank in my area has a huge electronic sign out front, which now says: WE SELL EUROS.

I kinda doubt this prominently advertised service is for US tourists going to Europe. No, it’s more likely an opportunistic effort to rake in some fee income for exchanging our Monopoly money for a real currency as a hedge against future devaluation. (sigh)

If I were a Canadian living in the UK, I’d feel pretty flush financially too.

9. airship says:

Bookmark this post and come back in a year. By then you’ll wish the dollar exchanged for that much.

10. jayessell says:

I had a 2 in. LCD monitor meant to be used in place of the monochrome viewfinder of the early two piece camcorders.

I sold it to an R/C enthusiast with a wireless spycam.
    He was going to mount the camera on the car and the monitor on the remote.

Power and video connectors were on the side, spoiling the effect of it being a tiny television.

11. doubleagame says:

Yeah this is about right these days: £99 (US$6,700,232.22).

Hot tip: Don’t ever try to use the inferior US Dollar in Canada unless you’re ready for an earful. They’ve got made Looney pride up thar, I tell ya!

12. Avram says:

RyanH, @#6 — I dunno. I’ve got a friend who’s Canadian, works in the role-playing game industry. Since the US market for RPGs is so much bigger than the Canadian market, he gets most of his income in US$, but has to pay his rent and bills and buy his groceries with CAN$.