HOWTO divide a freezer-bag into individual servings before freezing

12 Responses to “HOWTO divide a freezer-bag into individual servings before freezing”

1. Tommy says:

I love and hate tips like these. Love ‘em because they’re so great. Hate ‘em because I never, ever woulda thought of it.

2. purefog says:

Um — “quickly break off just as much as you want to use, no more”? Not quite. For the first piece in any row, you will need to break off the entire row, and then break that piece off the end of the row, leaving a 2-piece fraction of a row plus the balance of the package. But, still.

3. lionelbrits says:

#6: Ditch the squares and simply divide it into narrow rows. This should be fine for ground meat. Although I’d feel pretty funny defrosting such a meat popsicle.

4. Atomische says:

I do the same thing with brown sugar — but instead of squares I freeze it into 1/4 cup “pucks” ready to use in baking recipes.

5. Practical Archivist says:

Brilliant and forehead slappingly simple. I love this idea.

P.S. You can freeze brown sugar? Go know.

6. Lexica says:

Atomische @ #8:

What’s the advantage of freezing brown sugar? I haven’t run across this technique before.

7. Avram says:

I want to go out and buy a bunch of chopped meat now, just so I can do this.

Even though I don’t think there’s room in my freezer to lay it out flat.

8. Atomische says:

Brown sugar gets hard as a rock pretty fast no matter how you store it. It’s not spoiled, just impossible to divide into measurable amounts.

So that’s why I pre-measure it into pucks and freeze, wrapped in plastic wrap.

When I want to use, I just sprinkle a puck with a couple drops of water, pop it into the microwave for about 10-15 seconds, and walla!

9. colin2go says:

This falls into the “duh” category.*

*The “duh” category is generally filled with idiots like me bumping into each other and exclaiming “Why didn’t *I* think of that?!”

10. Takuan says:

now that’s a pointer. I’ll use that for liver – and fava beans.

11. minamisan says:

i believe you’ve just violated a Wendy’s patent with those square burgers.

12. buddy66 says:

@5, I’m with you; who’da thunk it?

@11, Hey, an Alfred Hitchcock rip-off: wife bashes hubby with a BIG chunk of stale brown sugar, then dissolves it to make a batch of fudge and offers some to the investigating police officer. Better than the original leg of lamb, no?