Waiting rooms for hitchhikers - lost innovation from 1939

In October, 1939, Popular Science covered a Michigan gas-station owner's friendly "waiting rooms for hitchhikers."
Performing the role of the good Samaritan to the nation-wide fraternity of automobile hitch-hikers, the owner of a service station in Albion, Mich., recently established a hitchhikers’ depot hard by his row of gasoline pumps. Nailed to a tree, a large sign visible to approaching motorists at a good distance, identifies the spot, while a painted hand, with the thumb outstretched in the traditional manner, does the spade work for tired hikers.
Link