Car-exhaust oven, 1930

13 Responses to “Car-exhaust oven, 1930”

1. tobergill says:

When I was in the army we used to wrap food in foil and wire it to the exhaust manifold while we moved between sites on exercises. There’s nothing like rolling in to a snow-covered German field in deepest winter and tucking into a hot meal within seconds!!

2. rawbear says:

You might remember that the old Volkswagen Beetle used the exhausts heat surplus to warm the inside of the car. It had an air cooled motor, so no liquid coolant to do the job. A sleeve was wrapped around the exhaust pipe and cold air from inside the car was circulated in the sleeve and back in the car. Our Canadian winters (and over generous use of calcium on the roads) soon rusted then perforated the whole contraption, permitting the mix of stale inside air with fresh exhaust gazes. Mmmmh!? Of course, on really cold days, you could also count on the optional gas heather, that used gas from the tank, and brought your gas mileage to a few miles per gallon (and also shortened your life drastically…).

3. AliasUndercover says:

Car-B-Que!

I loved “Wings” when it was on…

4. Pasketti says:

“The cooker contains a steam pressure kettle…”

The exhaust never touched the food. It was used to heat the sealed container that the food was in.

5. Pipenta says:

@ RAWBEAR,

Oh heck yeah, I remember that. Couldn’t use the heat because exhaust would fill the car. There were even some holes rusted through the floorboards and it got cold. Not quite as bad for a passenger, who could wrap their feet in layers of old blankets, but total hell on the driver.

I remember a nighttime midwinter trip, when I was on the road for three hours. At my destination, I got out of the car and promptly hit the pavement. My feet were so numb from the cold that I couldn’t balance on them or walk.

6. dculberson says:

I say! The world would be more civilized if people still went on road tours.

7. Halloween Jack says:

See also: Manifold Destiny.

8. Takuan says:

with the advent of electric cars, what will be the new analogue to this?

9. wildbell says:

My tale’s similar to #1′s except I was a paperboy in the late 1970s for the Herald Examiner here in Los Angeles and our supervisor would roll up in the afternoons to the drop point on Third street and Wilton Place, deliver us our bundles of that day’s edition and then crack open the hood of his old Ford pick-up where he’d remove a bundle of foil-wrapped hot dogs wired against the engine and set ‘em up with a bag o’ buns and condiments on the tailgate. Those were the days.

10. nck wntrhltr says:

Move over, exhaust crock pot! My father cooked my baby formula on the radiator of our Jeep in the middle of Minnesota winter.

11. soupisgoodfood says:

@10: Dumping your poorly wrapped, sloppy food onto a high-voltage motor control unit. Bring insulated gloves and a fire extinguisher just in case.

12. Takuan says:

oooh! aluminum foil!

13. Thebes says:

Just last year I used my hot engine regularly to heat my lunch. While working on a remote construction project I would bring foil wrapped burritos and such, then set them on the hotest parts of my engine once I got to the construction site. I’d come back an hour later and have warm (not hot) burritos. No wiring of anything involved, not cooking, just warm lunch.