Robbins Barstow's spectacular amateur films

12 Responses to “Robbins Barstow's spectacular amateur films”

1. MB says:

Seriously, how goddamn cool is this? When he made this, the chances of this ever being seen outside of a very small circle of family and friends was near zero. And here we are, in a time where millions and millions of people will have access to in the present and future.

Awesome.

2. howtoplayalone says:

Awesome. It’s great to be discovered at 88.

Keep ‘em coming, Robbins!

3. howtoplayalone says:

Awesome. It’s great to be discovered at 88.

Keep ‘em coming, Robbins!

4. jfno says:

This is great. I’m trying to fight a urge to go back again to wdw and this is not helping at all. Seriously I should have watch before.

5. BadKittyM says:

Robbins is a true gentleman. I shot him a quick ‘thank you’ email after watching ‘Tarzan and the Rocky Gorge’, and we have been speaking ever since. He’s witty, self-deprecating, and just plain fun. His films are wonderful.

6. Pipenta says:

Charming, yes. Nostalgia inducing, yes. A fascinating document of a moment in time and a particular culture? You betcha!

Spectacular? Not quite.

7. Jake0748 says:

The world needs more guys like this.

8. Paul Noth says:

“Amateur” films?

He was getting A-list talent.

9. Clive says:

Robbins is a fun person to talk with, no question. I interviewed him a few years ago about the Tarzan movie for a book I did on fan films (“Homemade Hollywood”), and we’ve been in contact ever since.

He made a sequel/remake to “Tarzan and the Rocky Gorge” in 1974 (38 years later!), called “Tarzan and the Lost, Last Whale.” By then, everyone in his family had grown up and had their own kids. It’s a hoot to watch, seeing how they’d changed, and how the story was altered to fit the more Peace-focused times (rather than shoot the hero like in “Rocky Gorge,” Slinkaround pegs him with an orange, for instance). BadKittyM is right on the money: His films are wonderful.

10. mr.skeleton says:

I want to be Robbins Barstow when I grow up.

11. Robbins Barstow says:

As the 88-year-old amateur home movie maker from Wethersfield, Connecticut, whose films have recently been Boing Boinged (“Disneyland Dream” – 1956, and “Tarzan and the Rocky Gorge” – 1936), I have been trying to figure out how to respond personally to some of the comments posted for discussion.

Re “Keep ‘em coming, Robbins!” I am doing so via “archive.org” where eight more of my films now can be played by searching for “Barstow Travel Adventure.” One of them, “Touring Paris with Two Grandchildren” (1992), offers a follow-up on the Barstow family and how the children have fared in life, when we all had a reunion in Paris celebrating Meg’s and my 50th Anniversary.

For direct contact and email correspondence, use: RobbinsB@aol.com

12. Jason McIntosh says:

Thank you so much for sharing your film archives with all of us, Robbins!

While you put so much planning and creativity into these films, you must have thought your audience would never stretch beyond your family and friends. How thrilling it must be to suddenly see them become globally popular through a medium that didn’t even exist at the time!